Ginger Red And Opal Colors?

Quote:
yes, that's the same think I've been trying to figure out too gumbii
what makes it gene wise? I have since found some folks with them, but no one yet has been able to tell me how to go about breeding my own, which is my goal.
Only thing I have found on them seems like they are just a mutation color off breeding black to black??

The Opal did originate from a "Black" bird. in the current form in OE here in the US. the color itself has appeared several times before and has been documented by genetic researchers as early as 1986 in the US once again from "Black" OE. When investigated very closely the "black" oe were typically found to be the result of a cross a generation or two back with Lavender. Most serious breeders were culling these chicks at hatch one poultry enthusiast had a genetic guru friend who asked for a few to raise out himself back in teh early 80's and documented the color.

The color has since appeared in europe in the Vorwerk from a Lavender (self blue) and from Porcelian which is lavender in base as well.

The color itself appears to be a mutation and can breed true, the current thought on the color is that it is a mutated form of dominant white however without a "pure" specimen being sent out for geneotyping the answer may never really exist.

If you are looking for some to play with I do have a young pair (15 weeks of age) available that have had no outcrosses in several generations and no breeding anomolies or odd chick color, down color variations, leg and eye color are all stabilized.
If you are looking for a very good OE typed bird with good color I will have a few this fall, they are the result of a cross with recessive white three generations back then breed for type and selected for color as well. these are the F4 birds and are looking much better and getting back to good color this year as well, I epect next years to be even better.

I was hoping you would see this and respond...

Quote:
The Opal did originate from a "Black" bird. in the current form in OE here in the US. the color itself has appeared several times before and has been documented by genetic researchers as early as 1986 in the US once again from "Black" OE. When investigated very closely the "black" oe were typically found to be the result of a cross a generation or two back with Lavender. Most serious breeders were culling these chicks at hatch one poultry enthusiast had a genetic guru friend who asked for a few to raise out himself back in teh early 80's and documented the color.

The color has since appeared in europe in the Vorwerk from a Lavender (self blue) and from Porcelian which is lavender in base as well.

The color itself appears to be a mutation and can breed true, the current thought on the color is that it is a mutated form of dominant white however without a "pure" specimen being sent out for geneotyping the answer may never really exist.

If you are looking for some to play with I do have a young pair (15 weeks of age) available that have had no outcrosses in several generations and no breeding anomolies or odd chick color, down color variations, leg and eye color are all stabilized.
If you are looking for a very good OE typed bird with good color I will have a few this fall, they are the result of a cross with recessive white three generations back then breed for type and selected for color as well. these are the F4 birds and are looking much better and getting back to good color this year as well, I epect next years to be even better.

me too, glad to see some one finally have an answer on the color. I posted this a long time ago and it well just went dead as no one knew. Have gone over to the oegb site linked on page 1 no real info there either other than suspected mutation off blacks.
Glad to finally get a little info on them.

sjarvis00
I would love a pair or two of them too, yes. I love the color, but type doesnt have to be nice. I'm a d'anver guy and have been wanting to introduce the color into my 30 some odd colors of d'anver I have. Just want to make a solid opal one, not opal this and opal that. If you have some like you mentioned that you are willing to part with, PM me some details and I'll be glad to get them now or this fall, either is fine with me as I already have 600-700 chicks on the ground now so it will be next spring before I tackle anything new project wise anyway.
Either way, thanks so much for your post and info on the color .

Quote:

me too, glad to see some one finally have an answer on the color. I posted this a long time ago and it well just went dead as no one knew. Have gone over to the oegb site linked on page 1 no real info there either other than suspected mutation off blacks.

sjarvis00
I would love a pair or two of them too, yes. I love the color, but type doesnt have to be nice. I'm a d'anver guy and have been wanting to introduce the color into my 30 some odd colors of d'anver I have. Just want to make a solid opal one, not opal this and opal that. If you have some like you mentioned that you are willing to part with, PM me some details and I'll be glad to get them now or this fall, either is fine with me as I already have 600-700 chicks on the ground now so it will be next spring before I tackle anything new project wise anyway.

Old English site has a lot of info on it...sjarvis is on there too, must have just not seen your question, as opals are discussed at lengths on that board

Last edited:
Quote:

sjarvis00

Boggy sent you a PM give me a call

Opal is a true "sport". A gene for Opal is simple recessive, as every cross I instructed Ron to try had the same results. Opal always inherited as if it were black in the F1 generation. On the F2 Opal would appearat 25%. TShelton54

The color has since appeared in europe in the Vorwerk from a Lavender (self blue) ...

Say what?

You mean recessive white?

NO, I did not mean recessive white as Opal is even recessive to recessive white. Opal has not been shown to be allelic to recessive white, and when crossed with recessive white the F1 generation is BLACK. When crossed for the F2 the results were 50% black 25% White and 25% Opal. TShelton54

Opal has not been shown to be allelic to recessive white, and when crossed with recessive white the F1 generation is BLACK. When crossed for the F2 the results were 50% black 25% White and 25% Opal. TShelton54
at the coop we believe Opal(cOp) its allelic to c, untill further genetic studies we just cant be sure.... how you came to believe it was a mutation of I(dominant white) its something I want you to elaborate further on, ... with all of Sjarvis documented breeding and findings posted on a coop thread(the coop genetic forum is down) most at the coop believe Opal its an I allele

I would love to know more about this gene. Someone said that this is the same gene we are now seeing in Javas.

Javas have recessive white (c) and then some birds are hatching out with a greyish coloration that is not (from what I can tell imperfect albinism (s^al) since the birds do not have red eyes.

Pictures of these birds can be seen here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/710974/calling-all-genetics-geeks#post_9689787

However, I cannot seem to find any info at all about this gene, what loci it is located on, or anything else. I know it must be recessive and I would bet that it is either recessive to recessive white (c) or another gene completely.

Could someone post images of opal birds and give more info on it's actions? Some of the Javas showing this gene are pale goldish (in areas), some have pale grey in areas, some have both colors and some have ghosting of penciling and spangling. They are all mostly white though.

Back
Top Bottom