Goose egg

BlueO

Chirping
Nov 8, 2023
Hello BYC:)! So I have a Canadian goose egg I rescued a while back and it is going to hatch in five days(I think). I looked it up and it said they hatch in 28 days so that’s what I put on my calendar. Now it’s getting close and I wanted to know if it’s ready or not. The egg is completely dark except for the air pocket. I tried floating it in warm water and it sank to the bottom. Is it ready or should I incubate it for longer?

Help would be appreciated, not criticism! This is a rescued egg not a stolen one. Thank you😊!

Hello BYC:)! So I have a Canadian goose egg I rescued a while back and it is going to hatch in five days(I think). I looked it up and it said they hatch in 28 days so that’s what I put on my calendar. Now it’s getting close and I wanted to know if it’s ready or not. The egg is completely dark except for the air pocket. I tried floating it in warm water and it sank to the bottom. Is it ready or should I incubate it for longer?

Help would be appreciated, not criticism! This is a rescued egg not a stolen one. Thank you😊!
Stop with trying to float it. There are two float rests. One is when you find a hidden nest and you want to see how old the eggs are. The other one is a last-second desperation test to see if anything is alive in an egg that is way overdue just before you toss it. You don't need to be doing either one.

If you are sure of the dates I'd go into lockdown at 25 days and see what happens. They can hatch 2 or 3 days early or late so be patient.

Stop with trying to float it. There are two float rests. One is when you find a hidden nest and you want to see how old the eggs are. The other one is a last-second desperation test to see if anything is alive in an egg that is way overdue just before you toss it. You don't need to be doing either one.

If you are sure of the dates I'd go into lockdown at 25 days and see what happens. They can hatch 2 or 3 days early or late so be patient.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

Probably not. That's why it sank instead of floating. I don't know that you can do much about it at this stage.
I think it’s actually gonna be OK because the air pocket grew, but I’ll post a picture in case, also it was moving when I set it down.

Back
Top Bottom