Help! Blood and unformed egg

BonasaFarms

Chirping
Oct 16, 2023
Went in the clean the coop and found this. Need to know how concerned I need be!

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    619 KB · Views: 33
It could be a one time glitch. The blood could be from a broken blood vessel, a large blood spot in the egg, etc. I would look at each bird, make sure none of them have anything obvious around the vent, no swelling, discharge, blood, etc. Soft shelled eggs can be really hard to pass, she could have been straining. If you can't find anything obvious, then I would just keep an eye on them all, make sure no one looks off or sick for the next few days, see if any have any laying issues again. It would be good if you could ID the bird, then you could monitor and administer some calcium if she repeats a soft egg. Age of the bird could matter too. If it's a new layer, then it could just be a glitch.

It could be a one time glitch. The blood could be from a broken blood vessel, a large blood spot in the egg, etc. I would look at each bird, make sure none of them have anything obvious around the vent, no swelling, discharge, blood, etc. Soft shelled eggs can be really hard to pass, she could have been straining. If you can't find anything obvious, then I would just keep an eye on them all, make sure no one looks off or sick for the next few days, see if any have any laying issues again. It would be good if you could ID the bird, then you could monitor and administer some calcium if she repeats a soft egg. Age of the bird could matter too. If it's a new layer, then it could just be a glitch.
Thank you that is exactly what I was thinking too. Just wanted to see if any of you all way more experienced rolled had seen before! I have help coming tomorrow to help me pick up each girl and check her out and make sure her backside doesn’t seem off at all! Thank you all for your very quick responses!

It was a very soft full egg almost like a snake egg after it hatches
A softshelled egg is kinda like a reptile egg on the outside.
I don't see any yellow yolk material, and it's hard to tell what was part of the egg and what is bedding/detritus from the coop floor.
the blood part could be a large blood spot(as already mentioned) or an ova still attached to the follicle.
I imagine that all the evidence is gone now. Just remember in the future that keeping these things and dissecting them further can really help pinpoint cause/effect.

All chickens are acting totally normal as well
Then I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye out.

Back
Top Bottom