Help! Hen is still sick and I’m out of ideas!

Lbittner

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
My 3 yr old hen has been I’ll for the past week. She was barely moving, walking like a penguin. So I brought her inside and gave her an epsom salt soak. No egg. Then noticed she has horrible smelling poops and keeps getting it all over her butt. I couldn’t find a vet to see her so I got advice at the local feed store. She wondered if scaly leg mites was the issue. I then treated her for the mites and gave her water with apple cider vinegar, Greek yogurt, electrolytes, and probiotics. I’ve been applying an anti fungal cream to her vent. After 3 days she perked up and I set her back outside in an isolated part of the coop. She is now walking funny again, barely moving, comb is very dark red/almost black. I feel a hard lump so I’m wondering about egg binding again but not sure if it’s that or her crop. I posted pictures. I’m out of ideas and she just crawled into my lap and is sleeping?!

Attachments

• 3CD7FE12-5F37-4BFB-B0F1-713C5ABD5034.jpeg
    3CD7FE12-5F37-4BFB-B0F1-713C5ABD5034.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 3EA0441D-5344-4D5C-93DF-3056B90F4A2B.jpeg
    3EA0441D-5344-4D5C-93DF-3056B90F4A2B.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 11
It's been too long for her to be eggbound, she would've passed away by now.
Does she have bloating in between the legs underneath the vent?
When was her last egg that you know of?
She probably has a reproduction issue going on.

It's been too long for her to be eggbound, she would've passed away by now.
Does she have bloating in between the legs underneath the vent?
When was her last egg that you know of?
She probably has a reproduction issue going on.
The bloating has gone down since the start of this week. There is a hard lump(I’m pointing to in in one of the pictures) Her stomach and area below the vent are firm but not hard.
I think it has been about 1.5 weeks since her last egg.

Awe poor girl. Chickens can hide how sick they are, your doing great by what your feeding her. What did you use to treat her legs? Did you look for mites around her vent?
I used a small amount of ivermectin on the back of her neck and covered her legs in Vaseline. I have checked head to toe for mites and can’t find anything. But the scales on her legs were raised so I do think that is part of the problem.

The bloating has gone down since the start of this week. There is a hard lump(I’m pointing to in in one of the pictures) Her stomach and area below the vent are firm but not hard.
I think it has been about 1.5 weeks since her last egg.
I'd get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day. It'll help her expel an egg or shell-less egg if that's the problem, but I don't think it is. Give it just incase though.

I used a small amount of ivermectin on the back of her neck and covered her legs in Vaseline. I have checked head to toe for mites and can’t find anything. But the scales on her legs were raised so I do think that is part of the problem.
Could you get a picture of her legs?

I'd get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day. It'll help her expel an egg or shell-less egg if that's the problem, but I don't think it is. Give it just incase though.
Would a crushed up Tums work? It’s what I have on hand and could give her right away

Back
Top Bottom