help me identify and sex this turkey/turkeys

zook

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I was told it was a bronze turkey. It came from a tom and hen living in a fenced in pen so no chance its a broad breasted bronze. This bird is 22 weeks now. We think its a female. I have taken some nice pics. The pics show the true colors of the birds as close as possible so the pics and live birds are almost identical. There is no snod, and the neck is not showing the growths males are supposed to have. Can anybody confirm gender and if it is a bronze. One picture has another male the may be a wild turkey which is another mystery we need help with. Each breed has distinctly different leg color. As for habits, it lives in a pen with a supposed pair of wild turkeys. The bronze always sleeps on the divider between the turkey pen and the muscovy ducks. I'm sure the other 2 turkeys could fly the 6 feet to perch there but never do. Below are the pics. Btw we are first year everything farmers so everything is new to us so any comments are very welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
Only male turkeys have a beard-like thing in the middle of their chest.. Females dont
actually I have shot a wild turkey hen in the badlands of NORTH Dakota that had a "beard" not near as big as the Tom. Pretty sure it was a hen as there were no "nuggets" inside when I cleaned it. But then up here I have also seen a "wet doe" aka nursing fawns with antlers. Maybe just all the Scandinavian background. LOL

I see no beard on these yet. The BBW I had this summer had small ones about 1" long by harvest time at 19 weeks. So nothing definitive sexing yet.

That's a girl and yes, possibly Standard Bronze or Bronze mix. I have 2 females, young (june hatch), that we got recently that look similar to your girl and both are Bronze...however, my older, without a doubt, Standard Heritage Bronze girl looks much darker and fuller than these two new girls. Seems my new ones have more brown on them right now..may change when they get a little older.

Turkey hens can have beards. The two hens in the back have beards.

I am very curious about your possible wild tom. It looks a lot like one of my cross bred turkeys.

It reminds me of this hen in front.

This picture shows all three. The turkey on the roost was from the same place as the poss. jake. The were as I checked back on the sellers ads he has on a previous ad them stated "wild bronze turkeys". That may explain the whiter bands on the tails and a distinctly whiter tail tips. But it does have more coloring like bronze where the poss. male has much more white in the feathers and tail and a bit more of a greyish look. Hmm...

Jandlpoultry. Yes I do see your hens have beards, You turkey sure does look like my poss. jake. I posted a new pic and info in this thread above.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom