Help! My Roosters comb is PALE

Oct 4, 2020
Hello so I have a young barred rock Rooster who is relatively young. So a couple of days ago I’d say maybe two I noticed that his comb was really pale and he was extremely weak, I first this is extremely scary because like I said previously he is relatively young and never had any health issues at all! However i noticed That his water container was empty and spilled (the container is a 55 oz automatic filler). The day before I noticed him I was at my aunts house and stay the night so I was not aware of how he looked like. However I have been giving him eggs and greens. He’s doing much better than how he was doing a couple of days ago where he was weak, Now he’s walking and running drinking and eating food and justlnow he’s walking and running drinking and eating food and picking the grass. The only problem is the color Of his comb and he keeps closing his eyes occasionally. Please help! Go ahead and ask questions I’ll answer here is some pictures of him

Attachments

• F917C33F-29CA-49C7-9229-137898583426.jpeg
    F917C33F-29CA-49C7-9229-137898583426.jpeg
    721.6 KB · Views: 52
Hello so I have a young barred rock Rooster who is relatively young. So a couple of days ago I’d say maybe two I noticed that his comb was really pale and he was extremely weak, I first this is extremely scary because like I said previously he is relatively young and never had any health issues at all! However i noticed That his water container was empty and spilled (the container is a 55 oz automatic filler). The day before I noticed him I was at my aunts house and stay the night so I was not aware of how he looked like. However I have been giving him eggs and greens. He’s doing much better than how he was doing a couple of days ago where he was weak, Now he’s walking and running drinking and eating food and justlnow he’s walking and running drinking and eating food and picking the grass. The only problem is the color Of his comb and he keeps closing his eyes occasionally. Please help! Go ahead and ask questions I’ll answer here is some pictures of him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 22
comb was really pale and he was extremely weak
water container was empty and spilled
been giving him eggs and greens. He’s doing much better than how he was doing a couple of days ago where he was weak, Now he’s walking and running drinking and eating food and justlnow he’s walking and running drinking and eating food and picking the grass.
What do you normally feed?

I would get some Poultry Cell and direct dose him at 1cc per 3 pound of weight for a couple of days.
Make sure he's drinking well and eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Check his crop first thing in the morning for a few mornings to make sure it's emptying.

Get some photos of his poop when you can.

His crop in the first picture looks a bit enlarged. That could possibly be because he ran out of water, but check it in the morning to make sure it has emptied overnight. If it is still full and firm, you may want to treat for an impacted crop. Good advice from others on Poultry Cell or NutriDrench, or electrolytes. Mites can cause a pale comb. It is always good to have either multiple waterers or secure them if you are not checking on them at least twice a day. These things happen with waterers.

Yes, check for mites and lice. A bad case of mites can drain the chicken if it’s blood, making their comb pale and causing them a loss of energy. I’m battling this on one of my hens right now. The last few days her comb has gone super pale and she’s just been sitting around hardly moving. This morning I checked under her feathers and sure enough there are little black bugs nestled in her feathers. Check around the vent area too. Another symptom is poopy butts and mite eggs in that area.

Back
Top Bottom