Help! What is this?

I have got healthy chicks from both. But every time I have this premature problem it's specifically in these.

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't try to hatch these anymore. They've been my problem eggs both times.
Egg selection definitely matters, and I think you might be onto something!

Check out the link I included.. it's informative.

ETA: alternatively you could try incubating only those with some adjusted parameters to meet their needs.. lower humidity, (dry incubation), etc. See if there is any change in outcome.

Thank you I'll check it out! I feel like maybe because these eggs are so big they have excess fluid and the chicks are trying to get out before they drown?

Last hatch one of the green ones had pipped and it had what looked like yolk running out of it and the chick never made it out of the egg.

Okay guys so I just couldn't do it. It was up walking around well with that thing hanging from it. Anytime I walked in or it heard me it would stand up and peep like the rest of the chicks. Did not seem to be distressed. I made sure there was no blood supply in that sack trusted my gut on the spot I chose and I snipped it off. Nothing no blood no peeping nothing. Then I ran a little chick under nice warm water and just soaked it for a while like that now when I first started it started piercing peeping so clearly it will do that when it's distressed. But it calmed down after it got used to the feeling and stayed very alert and let me soak it and gently brush it with a toothbrush to remove everything. I kept it wrapped in a towel and nice and warm against my chest under my clothes for a while. And then put it in with the others. It peeped loudly at first because it was the first it had been with the other chicks. But again after about a minute snuggled down with them and it's content and quiet. Now it's all starting to fluff out and I just hear a little happy chirps when I go in there. It's acting like the others. Now they have not eaten as I want it to be entirely dry before I put them in the brooder. Right now I just have them in a little box half on and half off of a heating pad on low with a towel clip to the sides dipping down so they have something to run up under and snuggle under. They're all maintaining a nice temperature and the baby's almost dry enough to go ahead and move them. So I will be watching it closely as soon as I give them food and water to make sure this is not causing any issues with food and water going in one end and making it out the other and will be ready to make sure it doesn't suffer immediately upon signs of distress. But so far so good.

There's just a little dried nub left over... Thinking it will fall off.

Attachments

• 20230527_143604.jpg
    20230527_143604.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230527_143536.jpg
    20230527_143536.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 5
Okay so update! The baby is perfectly fine. Acting perfectly normal. Eating drinking pooping only difference between this baby and the others is the feather colors!

Attachments

• 20230529_114023.jpg
    20230529_114023.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230529_114011.jpg
    20230529_114011.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 3

ETA: alternatively you could try incubating only those with some adjusted parameters to meet their needs.. lower humidity, (dry incubation), etc. See if there is any change in outcome.
Doing this now with a small batch of only the difficult ones.

Back
Top Bottom