Hen diagnosed with cancer

Went to the vet today. She felt the inside of her vent and automatically knew she had ovarian cancer. The walls of her insides were bumpy and full of lumps. She couldn’t feel any specifically egg like material and there was no fluid still.

I’m heartbroken. She is my most friendly and calm hen and was always affectionate. But i’m accepting what is happening and trying to move onwards.

She received a hormone implant to stop any potential egg formation.

Does anyone have any stories about something like this, and any tips on how I can give her a good rest of her life.
Anyone reading this, I hope this could be educational. Her symptoms were not drastic or very noticeable. She began to just become a bit less active, but still ate and drank normally. Her poop suddenly turned light green but was still solid. No lash eggs, weird eggs, etc. Be careful guys and always go to a vet when your gut feeling is that something is wrong.

Went to the vet today. She felt the inside of her vent and automatically knew she had ovarian cancer. The walls of her insides were bumpy and full of lumps. She couldn’t feel any specifically egg like material and there was no fluid still.

I’m heartbroken. She is my most friendly and calm hen and was always affectionate. But i’m accepting what is happening and trying to move onwards.

She received a hormone implant to stop any potential egg formation.

Does anyone have any stories about something like this, and any tips on how I can give her a good rest of her life.
Hello, it’s currently about day 6 post implant and she hasn’t lost any feathers yet. i know the implant is supposed to make them eat less, lose weight, molt, and go through behavior changes, but she has been slowly losing energy and that’s all. How am i supposed to know if this is the implant or her cancer?

Hello, it’s currently about day 6 post implant and she hasn’t lost any feathers yet. i know the implant is supposed to make them eat less, lose weight, molt, and go through behavior changes, but she has been slowly losing energy and that’s all. How am i supposed to know if this is the implant or her cancer?
In my experience with the implant, they will typically lay 1 or possibly a second egg within a day or two of receiving it and then it is at right about the 2 week point that I notice the implant kicking in.

I’m sorry for what you are going through, it’s heartbreaking :(
I just got a cancer diagnosis for one of mine yesterday and it’s gut wrenching.

In my experience with the implant, they will typically lay 1 or possibly a second egg within a day or two of receiving it and then it is at right about the 2 week point that I notice the implant kicking in.

I’m sorry for what you are going through, it’s heartbreaking :(
I just got a cancer diagnosis for one of mine yesterday and it’s gut wrenching.
I know, it’s really rough :( But i’m sure both of our hens have lived amazing lives so far and are calm and content for now.

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if you noticed any side effects in your experience with the implant?

I know, it’s really rough :( But i’m sure both of our hens have lived amazing lives so far and are calm and content for now.

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if you noticed any side effects in your experience with the implant?
Thank you for the kind words. Yes, my hen has lived an amazing life and my next door neighbor tells me all the time that she wants to come back in a next life as one of my hens 😜 Still unbelievably tough to go through though.

Yes, there are definitely changes I notice with the implant. I recall it being far more noticeable with the initial one. Mine all molted pretty drastically the first time. Their personality changes a little too and they are more mellow. They eat less and thus their weight will go down a little (and then start to increase again as the hormone wears off). On mine, their combs reduced in size and went from a bright red color to a pale pink color. At that 2 week point after receiving it is when I notice they seem like they don’t feel as well (similar to starting a molt) for a couple days and are a little lethargic so I know the hormones are kicking in. The benefits far exceeds any side effects in my experience though. Hopefully it will help your hen too 😊

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, my hen has lived an amazing life and my next door neighbor tells me all the time that she wants to come back in a next life as one of my hens 😜 Still unbelievably tough to go through though.

Yes, there are definitely changes I notice with the implant. I recall it being far more noticeable with the initial one. Mine all molted pretty drastically the first time. Their personality changes a little too and they are more mellow. They eat less and thus their weight will go down a little (and then start to increase again as the hormone wears off). On mine, their combs reduced in size and went from a bright red color to a pale pink color. At that 2 week point after receiving it is when I notice they seem like they don’t feel as well (similar to starting a molt) for a couple days and are a little lethargic so I know the hormones are kicking in. The benefits far exceeds any side effects in my experience though. Hopefully it will help your hen too 😊
Ok thank you so much!! She was not laying eggs prior to the injection so I think that’s when her ovarian cancer started to take effect. The vet recommended it just in case her body decides to form an egg, who can would probably get stuck inside her and would cause TONS of new issues.

I’m glad I found someone with experience with the implant :) So far it’s been a week and no changes in her comb color and no molting so far. She seems weaker but i’m not sure if it’s the injection or the cancer.

Ok thank you so much!! She was not laying eggs prior to the injection so I think that’s when her ovarian cancer started to take effect. The vet recommended it just in case her body decides to form an egg, who can would probably get stuck inside her and would cause TONS of new issues.

I’m glad I found someone with experience with the implant :) So far it’s been a week and no changes in her comb color and no molting so far. She seems weaker but i’m not sure if it’s the injection or the cancer.
I have tons of experience with the implant so happy to help you with it in any way I can. When you say she wasn’t laying prior to the implant, does the vet think she was laying internally? I don’t believe I’ve seen mine get weaker around the time of an implant unless they have had something else going on. Mostly just seen them being a bit lethargic and laying around more at the 2 week point. I so wish they could speak and tell us how they are feeling!

I have tons of experience with the implant so happy to help you with it in any way I can. When you say she wasn’t laying prior to the implant, does the vet think she was laying internally? I don’t believe I’ve seen mine get weaker around the time of an implant unless they have had something else going on. Mostly just seen them being a bit lethargic and laying around more at the 2 week point. I so wish they could speak and tell us how they are feeling!
Rewind about a month before the diagnosis and implant- she stopped laying eggs completely. For most of her life she has had a slightly swollen but not firm abdomen and she was originally suspected to have egg yolk peritonis.

Then, I took her to the vet a week ago. The vet felt around her vent and told me there was no fluid, and she doesn’t believe there is any egg material. Just a bunch of bumpy lumpy stuff on the walls of her abdomen. So, I believe her cancer forced her to stop and rest on the egg laying.

Honestly, I think it’s the cancer that’s causing her lethargy. She no longer dust bathes and mostly sits and stands, and she stopped eating food from my hand unless it was wet food or treats. I do observe on my chicken camera that she is eating dry food in the morning, though.

Since last week she had light green poop and that’s what really concerned me and caused me to go to the vet. She hadn’t eaten any veggies. I never expected to hear the vet say “Yep, she has cancer” ☹️☹️ I thought it might be a small infection at least.

Since the I have observed her poop, and I saw her do a regular looking poop yesterday.

Rewind about a month before the diagnosis and implant- she stopped laying eggs completely. For most of her life she has had a slightly swollen but not firm abdomen and she was originally suspected to have egg yolk peritonis.

Then, I took her to the vet a week ago. The vet felt around her vent and told me there was no fluid, and she doesn’t believe there is any egg material. Just a bunch of bumpy lumpy stuff on the walls of her abdomen. So, I believe her cancer forced her to stop and rest on the egg laying.

Honestly, I think it’s the cancer that’s causing her lethargy. She no longer dust bathes and mostly sits and stands, and she stopped eating food from my hand unless it was wet food or treats. I do observe on my chicken camera that she is eating dry food in the morning, though.

Since last week she had light green poop and that’s what really concerned me and caused me to go to the vet. She hadn’t eaten any veggies. I never expected to hear the vet say “Yep, she has cancer” ☹️☹️ I thought it might be a small infection at least.

Since the I have observed her poop, and I saw her do a regular looking poop yesterday.
Hard to say. I’ve now experienced 3 with cancer and they have all presented differently and it’s all very confusing but all 3 have had things that I considered to be a little “off” for them. Did you have any bloodwork done by any chance? That would show if she may be anemic. Have you tried giving her any electrolytes or vitamins to try to perk her up?

Hard to say. I’ve now experienced 3 with cancer and they have all presented differently and it’s all very confusing but all 3 have had things that I considered to be a little “off” for them. Did you have any bloodwork done by any chance? That would show if she may be anemic. Have you tried giving her any electrolytes or vitamins to try to perk her up?
The vet did not give her x rays or blood work because of the price, we said we should just take her home like regular. They have Hydro Hen probiotics + vitamins in their water. They also sometimes gets vegetables like kale or broccoli and sometimes treats like a little bit of blueberries.

I also noticed her crop has gone down, but she only poops once while she sleeps.

Back
Top Bottom