Hen keeps moving tail up and down like shes trying to poop

gbartha

Chirping
Apr 21, 2016

The hen on the right keeps moving tail up and down like shes trying to poop. Should I be worried?

Hi there,
Has she been laying regularly? Usually when they do that it can be an indication they have an egg that's 'stuck'. If you aren't sure about the laying, you can gently insert a lubricated finger into the vent and see if you can feel anything. (wear a glove
smile.png
). If you can feel an egg, don't try to remove it unless you can see it. It's better for her if you sit her in a warm bath and gently massage her tummy.
Read on the learning center 'egg bound' - lots more in detail info there.
Keep us posted,
thumbsup.gif

Howdy gbartha

I just wanted to add to the good advice you have received from boskelli1571.

Besides the possibility of being ‘egg bound’ she may also be trying to lay a soft shelled egg. Because the egg has a soft shell it is pliable and her muscles have trouble gripping it and pushing it out which causes her to strain more than she would with a hard shell.

I have an older hen who lays the occasional soft shell and I have found that she normally manages to pass it when she is relaxing on the roost overnight. A warm bath may help.

Be very careful if you do an internal exam, if the egg is soft shelled, you do not want to break it.

Best wishes to her and you and please do let us know how she goes?

Shes my first batch of chickens, born July 4th. She was my first egg layer, laying her first egg December 27th and has every day since. She layed her egg today. If she doesn't lay tomorrow I will give her a nice warm bath. If thats not it, any other possibilities?

Shes my first batch of chickens, born July 4th. She was my first egg layer, laying her first egg December 27th and has every day since. She layed her egg today. If she doesn't lay tomorrow I will give her a nice warm bath. If thats not it, any other possibilities?

Is she pooping OK? If not, she might be constipated.

I did a quick search and came up with this post:
Hi. I have helped many constipated chickens. I got advice from a man who is a chicken expert and I have used it numerous times and it hasn't failed. I apply very warm compresses to the vent and surrounding area for about 10-15 minutes per session. Then I lubricate the hen's vent with vaseline (I wear a glove and use my pinky finger) and let her go. I do this 1 - 2 times per day for about 5 - 7 days. The hen lays on her tummy on my daughter's lap with a lightweight towel over face to help keep her calm. Additionally,
We put SAV-A-CHICK probiotics and electrolytes in the hen's water for 3-5 days. I'm off to go do this for one of my hens now. Maybe someone can tell me why they get constipated so easily in the first place. Wood shavings? Pine needles? Could eating these be the culprit?

oh dear. I don't know if shes pooping ok. I will watch her more carefully tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom