Hen spitting up clear liquid

NightFury06

Songster
Apr 3, 2020
England
Hey everyone!
We got three ex battery hens a couple of days ago, and everything seemed fine. They were all a bit listless to begin with, but Piper and Hazel have perked up well already, and are scratching round like there's no tomorrow. However, I was a bit concerned about the third one, Rosemary, who seemed more lethargic than the others. Just now, I looked in on them and saw her spit up a load of clear liquid. There is evidence this is not the first time she has done this. Does anyone know what this is? And if there is any way of helping her?
Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone!
We got three ex battery hens a couple of days ago, and everything seemed fine. They were all a bit listless to begin with, but Piper and Hazel have perked up well already, and are scratching round like there's no tomorrow. However, I was a bit concerned about the third one, Rosemary, who seemed more lethargic than the others. Just now, I looked in on them and saw her spit up a load of clear liquid. There is evidence this is not the first time she has done this. Does anyone know what this is? And if there is any way of helping her?
Thanks in advance!

Ok, so chickens don't vomit, so she's not regurgitating.

Spitting clear liquid can be a sign of sour crop. Her crop will be slightly swollen and will feel spongy. However, they generally spit in small batches and when being handled.

Unfortunately, because she has not been treated well in the past, this could be a sign of an underlying respiratory problem. It could be causing sour crop or just festering.

Is she moving her head from side to side? What does the crop feel like? Is any more liquid coming out and is it tinted green or dark? Is she making gurgling sounds?

Ok, so chickens don't vomit, so she's not regurgitating.

Spitting clear liquid can be a sign of sour crop. Her crop will be slightly swollen and will feel spongy. However, they generally spit in small batches and when being handled.

Unfortunately, because she has not been treated well in the past, this could be a sign of an underlying respiratory problem. It could be causing sour crop or just festering.

Is she moving her head from side to side? What does the crop feel like? Is any more liquid coming out and is it tinted green or dark? Is she making gurgling sounds?
No green liquid as far as I can tell, and doesn’t seem to be gurgling. However, her poos are a funny colour, sort of white/green.

Ok.
I think she might be ill but i'm not sure how serious it is. Someone told me it could be a kidney problem but I can't be sure....

How old are they?

I don't know about the droppings, ours go funny sometimes

Is she drinking more than usual? How is her appetite?

Back
Top Bottom