Hen starting to look like a rooster

KiwiClucker

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Two year old light Sussex hangs out by herself, not sure if she’s laying. Started growing spurs and her face looks different plus she’s grown some pointy neck feathers and her body shape has changed lol
I’ve heard of hens doing this because of an ovary problem? She seems ok other wise, just acts and looks different.
She grew up with two rooster brothers but they are gone now and I don’t have any mature roosters at the moment, she’s not a bossy hen either.
Show and share me your hen rooster stories 😂

Attachments

• 3607100F-223E-40E4-A53C-D1E4BAC678ED.png
    3607100F-223E-40E4-A53C-D1E4BAC678ED.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 44
Hmm. Odd how she grew spurs out of the blue, but she's not screaming "female with ovary problem" just yet. Please do keep us posted. Would be interesting to see if she continues to change

All chickens have some type of spur, depending on the breed it can remain a small bump or smaller spur in comparison to a rooster but the 2 years is what is interesting!

What ended up happening with this one?

I've heard of it happening with when there aren't any roosters in the flock too. Came on here to try and find out where I've heard it from but haven't had much luck yet, I'm currently having a similar thing happen with my birds.

We're down to two hens after the winter & fox. They've never not had a rooster around until now, but they both seem to be doing great anyway. Although while one of the girls is laying almost every day, but the other hasn't at all.

My hen who is laying is showing typical hen traits, very docile, squatting down when I come near.

The one who isn't is being more evasive and aloof, and today I noticed that her comb and wattles have started changing shape now. I compared a picture from a month ago to one today, and she went from a small single-comb to a larger, somewhat more walnut-shaped one.
She's also 2 years old this year. Last year she was laying & even raised a clutch of chicks of her own at one point.

I really do think it's the loss of most of her flock & the two rooster's that's brought on this change. It's really interesting to see.

I have a similar situation. Nov/Dec 2022 my 2 yr old Black Australorp hen began crowing. (I didn't worry, that can be sign of dominance) She stopped laying, no worries, it's winter. Now it's been 6 months and she has many PHYSICAL features of rooster? We have had same rooster for over a year, and he no longer mounts her either. She doesn't seem to be causing any 'flock' problems, but what about her health, do I need to worry about anything specific? Earl, our roo on the left, La-Dasha on rt. We call her "Dash" now.
20230523_165027.jpg

Back
Top Bottom