Hi! Totally new at this. . . :)

Meg Gerstenfeld

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm completely new to chickens. We got our first chicks just about 6 weeks ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

Black Australorp
Lavender Orpington
Cream Legbar
Barred Rock
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Gold Star
Rhode Island Red

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They are absolutely entertaining. I had no idea how different their personalities could possibly be. They range from "All I want to do is sit on you" to "Seriously. . .don't touch me."

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Me and my husband live on the Schuylkill River in PA. So we're happy being on the water, being in the water, watching the water go by. I also keep bees, which I didn't realize when I started was a gateway to keeping chickens. We're fond of most things DIY. He is into woodworking. I make quilts. We both golf and shoot pool poorly.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

At our house, it's me, my husband, our two dogs, and several hundred thousand bees. The dogs have been curious about the chickens but not aggressive. Not that we'll let them come in contact with each other. We're retiring from full time work in a few years.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've been watching youtube videos, reading articles, searching the internet for resources on how to tell whether I actually got all pullets or whether there's a cockerel or two in there. And I found your site, specifically the thread on breed and sex help. And I started poking around the rest of the site as well. You've got a great community here so I figured I'd join. :)

Back
Top Bottom