How do I keep my run from smelling??

Looks like they covered it all!! Should get results and hopefully never smell that chicken funk again!
cool.png

I did buy some lime-but I didn't really know how I was supposed to use it when the chickens would be using the area immediately-

"Ag Lime" is harmless.

It is Calcium Carbonate, just like Oyster shell

The more you put down, the better it works​

I found my chicken tractor got smelly as well. I now have a 10x10 dog kennel that's covered. I don't have the wherewithall to move a bunch of sand with a shovel so I just put a few bags in every now and then. I put leaves in the run as well and it's covered so it's nice and dry. I sprinkled diatomacious earth in there when I first added the sand.

Rencently I have worried about poo accumulating cause I'm free ranging my chickens less. I thought my pen was smell free because it was dry and worried that if it got wet it would putrify. The poo doesn't really stick to the leaves like you would think, it just turns to dust and goes away.

I through caution to the wind and decided to hose the leafy sand down. Much to my suprize and relief, it didn't putfrify! Although the pen didnt smell it was pretty dusty, I didn't realize it till I hosed it fresh.

I"m going to hose it every couple days. Another nice thing is the poo under the roost stays in a nice glob so I can easily pick it up in the morning.

Try a covered 10x10 dog kennel! My neighbor didn't listen to me and got a little coop that was advertized at a feed store. It was supposed to be a small pen but it is now the "coop" that resides in her covered 10x10 pen! We have wire on top and hardware cloth apron for safety.

Old post but here goes. Our chicken run is 6x12 with 6 pullets currently in residence. After about 2 weeks or so of them moving in the grassy area started to smell so I added dry grass clippings from the field. This helped for some time but now when I crouch down to hand feed or talk with the girls I get a slight smell of ammonia. I have added sweetpz and worked it into the litter but the smell is back again. What am I doing wrong?

A dog pooper scooper is easier to use than a cat scooper, and there is not all that bending down . I discovered this after I had back surgery! If you have a pull out tray under the poles and nesting boxes it is disgusting to clean. I discovered covering it with puppy Puddle pads which only need to be changed every 3-5 days.

Old post but here goes. Our chicken run is 6x12 with 6 pullets currently in residence. After about 2 weeks or so of them moving in the grassy area started to smell so I added dry grass clippings from the field. This helped for some time but now when I crouch down to hand feed or talk with the girls I get a slight smell of ammonia. I have added sweetpz and worked it into the litter but the smell is back again. What am I doing wrong?
You need more dry plant matter, dried grass clippings is probably all broken down, especially if they were not really dry.
Aged ramial wood chippings is the best base, then you can add other dry plant materials too as needed or available. Get the right balance and you'll never smell anything again.
Click pic and use arrows for more pics.

Remove the chickens!
D.gif

I'm just kidding with you! After our girls destroyed all the grass, we put in sand and it's been awesome, you rake it every day and the poop just disappears, and one thing we do every friday night is hose down the sand after they go to bed, and rake it up really good, no poo and no smell and takes only about 10 minutes to complete.
I NEED to do this. I have a couple/few questions. Did you use playsand? Do I need to remove the first layer of poop/dirt or just place the sand in there? I assume I can just pour it in and the ladies scratch it around, or do I need an iron rake?

I NEED to do this. I have a couple/few questions. Did you use playsand? Do I need to remove the first layer of poop/dirt or just place the sand in there? I assume I can just pour it in and the ladies scratch it around, or do I need an iron rake?

Back
Top Bottom