How do I use Acidified Copper Sulfate properly?

Can you get some photos of the the inside of the beak?
Canker would have a bad odor. Fowl Pox would be a possibility, but let's take a look.
I'll try to take a look, smell and get a photo of the inside of her beak today. She's a difficult one to catch. I actually found some acidified copper sulfate locally Thursday. I bought it and added to all the chicken's drinking water as a preventative if nothing else. As of yesterday (day 3.5), the growth that could be seen from the outside of the beak looks like it might be shrinking; at least in the corner of her beak. The first pic was taken about 24 hours after adding ACS to their waterers. The second pic was taken this morning.

Note: Just so you know, the patches of skin on her face where it's bald is due to a more dominant hen ripping at her beard.
IMG_7062.jpeg
IMG_7082.jpeg

I'll try to take a look, smell and get a photo of the inside of her beak today. She's a difficult one to catch. I actually found some acidified copper sulfate locally Thursday. I bought it and added to all the chicken's drinking water as a preventative if nothing else. As of yesterday (day 3.5), the growth that could be seen from the outside of the beak looks like it might be shrinking; at least in the corner of her beak. The first pic was taken about 24 hours after adding ACS to their waterers. The second pic was taken this morning.

Note: Just so you know, the patches of skin on her face where it's bald is due to a more dominant hen ripping at her beard. View attachment 2748172View attachment 2748174
Looks like it's helping.

I have read that you should treat THRUSH with ACS, but Canker you are supposed to treat with Metronidazole. There is a difference between Thrush and Canker. Thrush is a yeast infection. Canker is from a protozoa. Therefore, there's a difference in treatment.

While she was panting (110+ degrees out) the other day, I did see another smaller lump in her mouth toward the back. I didn't notice an odor. She's had a small growth in the corner of her beak for a few weeks but I didn't think much of it until we had hot weather the last few days. The area had become inflamed. Now that the weather has cooled the area isn't nearly as swollen but still has the crusted looking growth in the corner of her beak and one in her mouth (not crusted). Also, this is a different bird from the one I posted about earlier with an injured beak.
I know this is an older post, but for others needing this info…
I’ve had canker in a hen that really stunk. I suspect the canker was effecting her crop, because she would burp when I would give her the metronidazole with water & massage her crop. It totally stunk. It was like there was a canker blockage in her crop to not allow the gasses pass, created from food breaking down. She’s completely better now.
But I have another that got canker from the first chicken (only that one breed has contracted it so far). She does not have the stink at all. I don’t think it’s as far along as the other chicken was. But she does have more of an inflammation response in her left cheek. She’s on her second medication day today. We’ll be treating her for another week & the flock is being treated in their plastic waterers with the acidified copper sulfate. It seems to effect different chickens differently. But DEF clear that gunk out of their mouth. I used long tong tweezers from my husband’s tool box. It will bleed a bit no matter how gentle you’re able to be, but just have some q-tips and some diluted hydrogen peroxide to clean it if it starts bleeding. It helps a lot, while treating with metronidazole. (My chicken lost her purple comb tips & was able to breath better once I successfully cleared out most of the cheesy junk out of her mouth, throat & off her tongue. Plus she could breath out of her nose again.) I’m also using Fenbendazole, because with my first chicken that got canker, it seemed to work quite well along with the metronidazole. Full-spectrum anti-parasitic treatment. And fenbendozole is quite safe. Been around for over 40 years. I’m using human Fenbendazole powder because that’s what I had on hand when my chicken needed something that would work on parasites, and I hadn’t found the metronidazole yet.

If you make the 1/4 tsp ACS in a gallow of water is that what you give to them to drink or is that solution supposed to diluted again?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack OPs thread, but I'm having a similar situation, except I belive mine is due to my bird just beginning to lay. I have 6 hens also but only once have gotten 6 eggs in a day. They all started laying separate times as they are Different breeds and a couple weeks apart in age but the 1st to lay began about 1 month ago and the last about 1-2 weeks ago. In that time I've been noticing an egg with no shell in the roosting area, never in the nest box. It's happened several times. I belive I've narrowed it down to one bird but can't be sure. Would i treat the suspect with calcium in this case? Or is that something common to new layers that works itself out on its own? I did get 6 eggs for the first time 2 days ago, so i know it's not every time.

If you make the 1/4 tsp ACS in a gallow of water is that what you give to them to drink or is that solution supposed to diluted again?
If you wish to try the copper sulfate, first purchase the copper crystals. Copper sulfate pentahydrate. You will not be mixing the blue crystals directly into the drinking water, nor must the crystals in their dry form be anywhere near your chickens. You must take care not to breath any dust from them as they are extremely caustic. Wash off if any contact your skin. In the dry form copper sulfate is a dangerous substance.

However, mixed into water in the proper proportions, it is very safe. But first it's necessary to mix up a stock solutionwhich you will use to treat the drinking water.

Stock solution (You will need to convert to Metric)

1/2 cup copper sulfate crystals
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 quart water

Allow an hour for the crystals to completely dissolve.

This stock solution will be used to add to the flock's drinking water at the following proportions (notice that it takes very little copper sulfate solution to treat water.) 1 1/2 teaspoons of stock solution in 2 quarts of water. This is what you will give the chickens to drink the same as they always drinks water.

So w
If you wish to try the copper sulfate, first purchase the copper crystals. Copper sulfate pentahydrate. You will not be mixing the blue crystals directly into the drinking water, nor must the crystals in their dry form be anywhere near your chickens. You must take care not to breath any dust from them as they are extremely caustic. Wash off if any contact your skin. In the dry form copper sulfate is a dangerous substance.

However, mixed into water in the proper proportions, it is very safe. But first it's necessary to mix up a stock solutionwhich you will use to treat the drinking water.

Stock solution (You will need to convert to Metric)

1/2 cup copper sulfate crystals
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 quart water

Allow an hour for the crystals to completely dissolve.

This stock solution will be used to add to the flock's drinking water at the following proportions (notice that it takes very little copper sulfate solution to treat water.) 1 1/2 teaspoons of stock solution in 2 quarts of water. This is what you will give the chickens to drink the same as they always drinks water.
I have Acidified Copper sulfate. I see everywhere here too add 1/4 tsp ACS to one gallon of water and give that to drink. Is that still to strong?

Go back up to my post in window #16, follow those instructions, and just skip the step where you add vinegar since the acid is already included in the copper sulfate in your bag. That should be pretty simple. What you will then have is a small jug of "stock solution" that you use to add to the drinking water for your chickens, treating just a half a gallon of drinking water. If you wish to treat a gallon of drinking water, double the amount of stock solution in the gallon of water.

Back
Top Bottom