How long does moving chickens disrupt their egg laying?

DianeS

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Oregon
Like most newbie chicken owners, I'm eagerly awaiting that first egg! One of the chickens I bought is a year old hen just finishing her first molt. The previous owner said she was still occasionally laying an egg during the molt and I should have one "soon".

But I also know that packing up the chickens and moving them to my house will disrupt their schedule and make her stop laying for a bit even if she'd been laying every day before! Moving is stressful.

So I'm wondering if there is a typical amount of time that moving will put her off of laying? I mean if it's useless to even look for the next week, at least I'd know not to be disappointed between now and then.

Thoughts? Or is it too individual to guess?

Depends on the bird and the amount of trauma... I had an Ameraucana shipped from across the country to me last Summer '09 and she didn't lay til mid Winter. And she was about 4 months old when I recieved her.... Then I had some that took a month... I have a standard size Game that laid two days after I moved her in. And an OEGB that laid the day after I brought that trio home.

Yep, depends on the hen, and of course, how much the waiting is killing you
barnie.gif

The more you want that first little eggy-poo . . . . . the longer it takes. Sorry
hugs.gif

You don't say how far you will be moving the hen. I moved mine about 2 hours truck ride (in the back seat, NOT in back of the truck LOL) and one laid that evening, they both laid the next day. I had their coop all ready and had treats ready and sat a chair next to the coop for a couple of hours talking to them. They felt right at home. But each bird is it's own personality.

Often, there is an egg or two "in the chute," so to speak, when a chicken gets relocated. She lays the first and second days in the new home, then the disturbance of the relocation two days previous has already upset the laying "mechanism." So it may be a while, as much as 3 weeks, before she gets all settled in again and back on track with laying.

It depends on whether they get stressed, I added a lone hen to my small flock of chicks, and she never stopped laying. If she isn't laying because of molt and seems happy then eggs will come if she is healthy.

I feel optimistic, then, thank you! The former owner lured them into a wire dog crate using food, then simply shut the door. I picked them up and put them in a solid dog crate in my car right at dusk, and drove 2.5 hours in the dark while they went to sleep. Then carried them into the mostly-dark coop, and although they woke up they didn't seem to really be noticing anything. They've been locked in the coop with food and water (and treats 2x a day) since then. So maybe that won't count as much stress at all.

I'm hoping to see an egg maybe by the weekend. I know it won't be regular since she's still growing feathers back in, but I can hope to see at least one!
roll.png
I'm only human!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I just got 4 Rhodies from a place that was super dirty, hens didnt have a clean coop.I have given them a nice, warm space with food and water. I gave them corn and oyster shell yesterday. .
I have had them for 5 days and no eggs yet. Any other ideas? They seem happy. They talk a lot when I go out to check on them. Advice please.

Back
Top Bottom