How small of a hole can a possum fit into?

dcure2002

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
I came home to broken eggs with no yolks a week or so ago. 2 nights ago I found a possum in the next box. It has been successfully dispatched. I was unable to find any holes in the fencing or under the fence. No burrow holes either. I am wondering if a juvenile possum could fit through 2x4 holes in the fence, or if I should keep looking for how it got in.

Thanks

Conceivably a young adult possum or coon could fit through a hole that size. Sort of like a rat - if they can get their head through, they will work their body through. Harddware cloth around the pen would be an effective exclusionary system.

When a possum is born it is no bigger than a grain of rice, or maybe popcorn. I have seen young possums the size of rats that seemingly were independent from their mamas' pouch or back. I strongly suspect that under the right circumstances a young possum could gain entry to your coop and live quite happily unobserved inside of it on nothing but spilled chicken feed, eggs, uneaten kitchen scraps, etc until the possum was big enough to tackle a grown hen. If he is anything, old Pogo the Possum is adaptable. All he needs to make himself a home is a storage building or some waste wood that he can hide under.

Last edited:
A 2x4 hole is huge for an opossum, even a med size one or a small coon can get through that. At the very least, I'd go 1x2". 1/2x1/2 would be best, to keep out mink, weasels and rats.

My dogs chased an adult possum through a chain link fence - 2"x2" opening. I watched in amazement as he wiggled his way through - I would have bet money he was going to get stuck, but he made it through. Time to get out the 1/2" hardware wire and cover up any openings.

Back
Top Bottom