How to find a litter of kittens outside

iloveanimals

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Well this one stray cat that I feed and give water to had a very pregnant belly then it went away so she had her kittens somewhere. Any way that I could find those kittens? I tried following her but she would just see me and turn around and start giving affection to me. I don't know if the kittens are even alive. I hope they are.

if the cat is affectionate then ti should be no problem everytime you follow her if she turns for cuddles stand up and ignore her even if it takes her a good half hour to realize your not going to pet ehr then follow her again untill she takes you to her kitties

I'm not really a cat person, but that aside...

I found a litter of feral kittenss in an old shed, I just followed the odor of urine and poopies.
I took em and gave them to people so they could become socialized enough to be good pets.

You should take the mom and make her a house pet, or give her to someone who wants one.

This coming from a a person with zero-tolerance policy for feline predators, I don't want them to turn into dog-snacks but if they are prowling around my bird pens thats what happens. Cats should get fixed and stay indoors. There are enough homeless pets crowding shelters and being "put-down" because there are not enough homes.

If it's been a week or more since she stopped looking pregnant, you should be able to get a fair idea of whether the kittens are alive by whether her lil' cat boobies down there on her underside are "full" of milk.

I'd second what the previous poster said about just hanging out, not petting her, see if you can get her bored enough to lead you to the kittens. Although if she is friendly it is not beyond the realm of possibility that she is not really a stray cat, just someone's outdoor cat, and the kittens are safely ensconced in someone's house
wink.png

Best of luck,

Pat

if you can watch her from a distance (binnoculars) that would probably solve the "oo pet me" problem.

generally she will have picked somwhere sheltered smallish and dark.
under bushes, under decks, and in sheds are usually favorites. attics and basments follow (some will dig under houses or use holes made by other animals to get under houses)

in the early weeks, mewing and smell are pretty much not happening, a good momma keeps her nest very clean and babies know instinctively that mewing will also attract predators so unless mommas very close or there realy hungry, they will usually keep quiet

you can sometimes see paths through bushes/longer grass when mommas use them frequently, sometimes it is fairly easy to follow these little worn paths to the nest, othertimes mommas are wiley and use a different route frequently to keep predators away.

if you have a dog thats often a good way to find the nest, put him (or a neighbors dog) on leash and follow his nose, most dogs, even those raised and that love cats are interested in cat nests and will frequently lead you right to them... (this is how most people find kittens, usually after the dog has already raided the nest
sad.png
)

good luck finding them, the sooner you can find them and hopefully get them and momma indoors the better chance of those babies being tamed and making good family pets. i generally find kittens under 4 weeks easiest to socilize to humans and it REALY helps is momma is people friendly!

This brings back memories of trying to find the kittens. A project in itself! One batch mewling in the old barn. COuld hear them but not find until I put mu hand into a dark space between rafters and wall. 2nd batch was hidden by a HUGE pile of decomposing branches.

Each time it was crying kittens NOT the mother that led me to the wild kittens. But she did give me clues as to the general area! GL

Well my grandma moved to this house the before neighbors abandoned 2 cats the 2 black cat the one mom I am talking about and a kitten from a litter a long time ago.

Well this one stray cat that I feed and give water to had a very pregnant belly then it went away so she had her kittens somewhere. Any way that I could find those kittens? I tried following her but she would just see me and turn around and start giving affection to me. I don't know if the kittens are even alive. I hope they are.
I would play kitten sounds and noises then she should go running to her babies. "If she has any". GOOD LUCK.

Back
Top Bottom