How to sex white coturnix?

kimandrich

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Houston, Tx
Howdy! I've got 17 adult jumbo brown Coturnix. The last 2 batches of eggs that we put in our incubator, both hatched 1 yellow chick that "turned" white once it got bigger.
What are these called, and how do we sex them?
Thanks.

270190_1871317944213_1279063160_31671403_2166731_n.jpg

270955_1871318104217_1279063160_31671405_3127707_n.jpg

THEY ARE WHITE COTURNIX. AS FOR SEXING? WELL MY FRIEND ONCE THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH FOR NATURE TO TAKE ITS COURSE GRAB YOURSELF A BEER AND A LAWN CHAIR... WE CALL THIS THE BEER SEXING METHOD
thumbsup.gif

YOU CAN SEE SWOLLEN AREA JUST ABOVE THE BIRDS VENT IF ITS A BREEDING MALE THAT WHEN GENTLY SQUEEZED PRODUCES FOAM IN THE VENT AS WELL.

I have one pen with two Texas A and M hens and the rest Jumbo Browns. I was trying to UP the size in the next generation, although they are BIG as is LOL. IF you can get the whites to 12 ounces, I think you can call them Texan
smile.png
But as for sexing, look at their butt and see if their is a bulbous gland. You can play with it a bit (more like pushing it and if foam comes out you gots yourself a boy). If there is a spread out vent and you get pooped on, you got a girl. That's what has been working for me. And no, I don't play with vents, I noticed that statement sounds a bit odd but I am on my 3rd pot of coffee
big_smile.png
caf.gif

i just got my first adult quail and noticed the vent all puffed and thought there was something wrong with it lolha. So that's the male? looks like hes storing marsh mellow up there? I went to try and sex the british range that i got (there are 5) and didn't have a lot of luck. its easier when someones around to show you these things.
Thanks
Sib

Quote:
Sit and wait and see if he crows/mounts, huh?
smile.png

Haha, thanks
smile.png

this does not work that well sometimes jailhouse lovin happens one roo will show dominance over another the crowing laying egg thing works well here
smile.png

dang, was supposed to be 1 male and 4 females (they sent 1 extra in case). I just looked and 3 of 5 have the puffed marsh mellow butts. I know there is 1 female as an egg was in there this morning... maybe 2 hens and 3 males. yeiks.

Back
Top Bottom