How to teach gosling to eat / drink?

adrian

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Regina, SK
I don't know whether it's just because the baby is just over 12 hours old, or whether she won't eat or drink for whatever reason.
I've dipped her beak in water and she has sort of tilted her head backwards, but she doesn't go for another sip or anything. As for the food, she shakes her head if she tastes it, and otherwise just bites the air in front of the food rather than eating it.

She's hardly walking, so I don't expect they'd be eating by now would they? And is this something to worry about?

Quote:
I wouldn't worry yet and just every so often keep reminding the baby where the food and water is. To show them water I use my finger like a head and neck and dip it in the water and then point to the ceiling like they do with their heads when they drink, for food I peck at it with a finger like a chicken would. You can also dip their beak in. Fresh greens might help it to get going as well. But it is common for babies to not have a whole lot of drive to eat and drink for the first 3 days. The yolk they absorbed up is what sustains them through this time. Now if it doesn't pick up eating by sometime the third day then I'd step up attempts to get it to eat- and again greens (grass/chopped weeds/whatever) have always yanked my goslings chains and gotten them going.

She's not interested in grass, either, so I'm assuming she's just too young. Not walking or exploring much yet, just resting. Is it normal for new goslings to have crackling sounds when they breathe? It's been a long time since I hatched a goose. She also sneezes every so often, but no water in the nose or anything. She started to sneeze when she shed that fuzz everywhere and got fuzzy.

Quote:
Uhoh.

They take a couple days to get moving decently, that's normal. I have not had crackling sounds when they are breathing though. Now there is the fluid in the egg and it could just be her clearing the fluids out of her respiratory system from being in the egg and completely normal. I'd watch that in any case. I am betting the sneezing is connected to the crackling. Mine don't usually sneeze unless drinking and they get a snootful of water. If you are putting her bill in the water to show it to her try to be careful to just dip the tip in. Maybe she inhaled water when shown the water. Being water birds I am fairly sure they are capable of dealing with fluid in their airways...I'm sure wild baby waterfowl get water up their noses and such all the time. That's my best guess anyway.

Thank you for your advice. I know that human babies are born with a lining to their lungs, I wonder if goslings are similar? Or could be that it's a new baby just getting used to breathing.

I've noticed this in all my babies and it's always been a source of worry, even panic, especially when I was told no one else had noticed it. I usually dismiss it as normal and everything is absolutely fine.

I noticed this sound far before she got to any water. However, she seems healthy and normal, and had a few sips of water earlier, on her own accord. (After she stepped in the bowl, though). I'm thinking it will take just a little while longer to get her eating. She's no longer sneezing - yet again, only noticed it when she was shedding a lot, and it sounded just like a little squeak, hardly distinguishable from the rest. But I am very observant.

Quote:
Well it could just be that you listen and observe more carefully then the rest of us, not that it isn't happening. I think she'll be fine, I'd dismiss it as clearing her lungs after being born. I'm fairly sure she'll start nibbling soon too.

After drinking more water, it would seem her crackling is fading away. For that matter, she took a few bites of food when I guided her beak into it, and no less vaulted into her water. She's starting to chew on my clothing and fingers even more, so that's good.

Ah, sometimes I worry and for no reason...

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom.

Well, still not eating, but taking a great interest in drinking.
I've tried putting some of the crumble (it's waterfowl starter) in her mouth, moistened at that, and she just shakes it out. Ignores grass clippings, too. She's just about 24 hours old - is this okay? Any tips as to how to help her eat? I'm afraid she'll die on me, but truth is she just gets stronger and stronger, running around the brooder and screaming when I leave. And she can even climb. Does this sound alright?

Also, if she eats a few bites of the food while it's on my hand, does that mean she will recognize it as food when she is hungry? Argh, I shouldn't be so anxious. It's just hard to raise them alone... Now if only I had some more...

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't worry about the eating yet, it's not time, most of my babies will shake it out at that age too. Keep giving her greens too for when she is ready, when she is ready she'll eat, she'll probably start poking at food with more interest tomorrow. Right now she is feeding off of the yolk she absorbed and really isn't all that hungry. Before she'll die of not eating she'd get weak and lay down on her tummy most of the time and not talk a whole lot. Eating from your hand will help her recognize that it is food sprinkle chopped up greens on her food as well (they are attracted to green). She'll eat, she's just not ready yet you need to give her all of tomorrow before you even start to worry. And they do start drinking before they start eating usually.

If she is climbing and screaming then there is not a thing wrong with her. She's being completely normal for a goose if not a bit more active then many.

Back
Top Bottom