How We Built The Run

CapeReds

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Sandwich, MA - Cape Cod
My Coop
My Coop
Some time ago, I posted pics of our new coop and was asked how I did the run. Sorry it took so long.

The hardware cloth was painted black and I put a shade screen over the top hardware cloth (ebay).

The run is 8'x15'. The box area of the run is 8'x12' and there is about another 3' where it slopes down to the coop.
Inside the run is 7' tall. the hardware cloth is buried 30" down. It was to late to plant grass around the coop, probably in the fall.
Our coop is 6'x8' and provides a shady area underneath.

1, The four (1) 10' 4x4 posts were set 3' deep and set with 1.5 bags of concrete each.
2, 6x6 PT was notched around the fixed posts and notched together as well.
3 Horizontal 2x4 connected the four fixed posts 4 inches below the top.
4, The remaining vertical posts sat on the 6x6 and were fastened at the top and bottom.
5, All of the cross roof beams were set on the top 2x4 and fastened to the posts.
6, Filler pieces of 4x4 were set along the top of the sides between the vertical posts.
They were to fasten the hardware cloth and continue the look of the 4x4 frame.
7, The door is 2x4 with 1x sandwiching the hardware cloth on the inside.

95664_coop1.jpg

95664_coop2.jpg

95664_coop3.jpg

95664_coop4.jpg

95664_coop5.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive!! This looks amazing! I am no where near done with my coop- I just started on digging the 4 holes for the main coop. I have a question- I was planning on putting the wire on the inside of the run, but I noticed this is on the outside. Is it better on the outside than the inside? I was going to dig down an apron. Thoughts on that? (which side the wire is on)

I was planning on putting the wire on the inside of the run, but I noticed this is on the outside. Is it better on the outside than the inside? I was going to dig down an apron. Thoughts on that? (which side the wire is on)

Wire is put on the side that needs to be the strongest.

Since most anything will keep chickens IN, the main function of a run is to keep predators OUT, so the wire should be on the outside., as should the apron.

Digging deep to bury the wire is really wasted effort when it's just as effective to stop them at the surface.
Again, the apron has to be on the predator's side of the fence​

Quote:
Wire is put on the side that needs to be the strongest.

Since most anything will keep chickens IN, the main function of a run is to keep predators OUT, so the wire should be on the outside., as should the apron.

Digging deep to bury the wire is really wasted effort when it's just as effective to stop them at the surface.
Again, the apron has to be on the predator's side of the fence

thank you! I'm sure you saved me a great headache! ha!

I went 30" down with hardware cloth all around. There were left over screen trimmings That I threw in the trench when filling it back in. Just a little exttra protection for the coyotes and racoons.

Here's the New Coop thread with pics Of the coop design and inside. The girls seem happy and sleep above the nest boxes, next to the vent window. It's funny, five hens, five nest boxes, and all the eggs are always in the same nest.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=525844

I put an electric door in too. The solar door was a flop due to the 12v timer, so I went with an extension cord for now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom