Howdy! Finally got chicks!

Husker Hens

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Nebraska (Panhandle)
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone, been getting on this site for a long time now and have even had an account to a little while. So, first off, thanks for all the help already! I'm the kind of person that likes to do lots of research and data gathering before I start anything. Anyway, I finally took the plunge and actually bought some. 3 at first, but I went and got 2 more so 5 of them for now :). They are more entertaining than I imagined. I have one that kinda seems like the runt of the group (far left in pic) and there's been times she's made me pretty nervous but she seems to be doing ok. I have both electrolyte water and plain water and she definitely prefers the electrolyte one so hopefully that will perk her up. Anyway, I'm excited for this adventure and looking forward to having my own stories now as well as reading yours!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your chicks they look lovely :celebrate
5 of them for now I'm sure the chicken math will take over and you will add more ;) It always seems to be the case. Chicks are very entertaining and this continues as they get older. I love sitting out with mine and watching them go about their business.

Wishing you the very best of luck with them in the future, I'm sure they will bring yiu lots of fun and enjoyment. Be sure to ask any questions everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I also am the type of person that likes to research something before getting into it. I'm glad you are enjoying your chicks. They sure are cute!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome and congrats on making the plunge. The fun and surprises continue as they grow and mature.

IMO the best way to start a new adventure is researching first, and most chicken searches do lead here :)

Keep an eye on the runt and let us know how she/he does. Hope everything works out well.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

Enjoy your new flock.

What breeds did you get? Any chance the runt may be a bantam? Just keep an eye out that the others don't bully her or keep her away from the feed. A lot of little ones catch up on size later and even can become 'the big ones."

Thanks everyone! This place is a wealth of knowledge and I've had 1,000 questions already, but found all the answers so I actually haven't had to actually ask one yet (good problem to have). Anyway, there's two astrolorps, a speckled Sussex who's a few days older than the others, a white rock, and the runt is a columbian wyandotte. At least that's what I was told when I bought them. The four seem to eat together and she kinda gets pushed out but then they all stop and she gets her turn so I think she's doing ok, but I'll definitely keep an eye on her.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. You have some great breeds. Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new chick.

Back
Top Bottom