Intregrating silkie chicks together

Chikitty

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
I hatched 3 silkies almost six weeks ago, I was given 2 more silkie chicks when the first ones were about 2 weeks old. I have been trying unsuccessfully to get them into the same brooder ever since iI got the 2. I built a bigger brooder and put a screened separation panel in between the 2 groups. I left them that way for about 2 weeks. Every time I try to put them together the older three bully the younger ones. I put a feeder and waterer at each end and the older chicks split up and guard them so the younger ones can't eat without getting seriously pecked. I left them together on the advice of someone who raises chickens to let them establish a pecking order. I came home today to find the two.younger ones cowering in the corner, one with a few missing chest feathers and the other with a practically bald back. Blood wasn't drawn but it seems inevitable that it happen. I have them separated again tonight but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions?
(The two younger ones are very much calmer and have always liked to be handled, the 3 older ones do not like to be touched at all. If that has any relevance)

Please post pictures of your brooder. If the older ones are almost 6 weeks old, they should be nearly fully feathered.
6 week old chicks need at least 2 sq ft of space each. I wouldn't want any less that 2 sq ft per every chick you now have. And there would be perches in the brooder, a couple of chunks of sod to scratch around in, things to hide behind and preferably, they would be in the coop now being brooded with a heat plate or two.

Please post pictures of your brooder. If the older ones are almost 6 weeks old, they should be nearly fully feathered.
6 week old chicks need at least 2 sq ft of space each. I wouldn't want any less that 2 sq ft per every chick you now have. And there would be perches in the brooder, a couple of chunks of sod to scratch around in, things to hide behind and preferably, they would be in the coop now being brooded with a heat plate or two.
The brooder is plenty big, but I don't have anything besides feeders and waterers, other than one perch in there, which they all ignore. I never thought that maybe they are bullying out of boredom? Ill add somethings of interest and see if that helps. Thanks for the ah-ha moment!

Back
Top Bottom