Introduction

JefnerT

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2024
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

My family had a backyard farm when I was younger, so I grew up with chickens. As an adult, I have always lived in town and have been unable to have chickens. We recently moved outside of town and inherited adult chickens from a friend who moved out of state. We have set up a temporary living situation for them in an outbuilding, but it isn't ideal and they do not have proper predator protection. (we have an owl that lives on our property and I've seen hawks.) I would like to set up a better living situation for these old gals and get some new baby chicks to raise as well.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We currently have eight. I'm not sure of their age but I was told they are pretty old.

(3) What breeds do you have?

They are a mixed flock. There are two Brahmas, 4 Black Australorp, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 (beautiful white and grey old lady?)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I enjoy farm-fresh eggs, but I love watching their silly antics even more. They have the funniest personalities. I only let them free range when someone is out with them so we actually spend a lot of time with them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love to garden, bake, and crochet. We live in hardiness zone 4, so gardening is a labor of love and I'm always improving what and how we grow food.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a wife and mother to three boys. We have two dogs and now a small flock of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom