Irish wolfhounds; who has 'em?

snewman

Songster
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Belleville, WI
We recently lost the heart of our family, a solid black malamute mix, to cancer. He cannot be replaced, but when we are ready for another dog I was thinking of going ahead with a breed I have always wanted to have, the Irish wolfhound. I've read about the breed extensively over the years and, while I've never had a dog that big, I am familiar with more normal-sized "large" dogs. I think we would be a good fit for wolfhounds. I'd love to hear what any of you have to say about your experiences, and I'm starting to research breeders a bit, so any recommendations there would be welcome too. I will consider a rescue, but given the short lives of these big guys I really want to start young. We are not planning to show, but are serious about finding a responsible breeder who is careful about the health and temperament of all his/her dogs. I'm in Wisconsin, but could travel if need be.

Quote:
I'm so sorry about your malamute!!
hugs.gif

That's great that you're doing it the right way! I don't have them, but my boss does. She has always gotten them in pairs, so I don't know how they do as "only dogs". They are the sweetest things ever! Tend to have a hard time negotiating stairs, if you have alot of stairs I would probably consider that to be a deal breaker. Definitely make sure that the breeder has had the parent's hearts certified by a cardiologist. Cardiomyopathy is really prevalent in the breed, which you probably already know if you've been researching.

Just my 2 cents - good luck!!
wink.png

Last edited:
My childhood best friend's family always had a couple. My earliest memory is sitting in a high chair and having one of them take my cookie out of my hand! I've always found them quite timid with anyone other than 'their people'. Theirs also had the hound tendency to run off, one was killed by a car after running deer for several days.

There is a breeder here in MI that has them. I believe they show their dogs and use them for therapy, as they are both therapists. I have always heard good things about them and I am on a dog list with them and they seem like really nice, conscientious breeders. If you are interested, I will try to find their website again.

Thank you for your input. I would love to have the Michigan breeder's website, if you can find it. I'm originally from the Lansing area, and my parents still live there. A visit would be easy!

We do have another dog, a doberman, so any new dog would have a big brother to start with (of course a wolfhound would quickly outgrow him).

Cara, I have a non-wolfhound question for you...how do you like your bloodhound? Not to sound flaky here, but that's another breed I've been interested in. Wolfhound first, but maybe some day a bloodhound.

I should clarify, Cara, I didn't mean flaky as in having a bloodhound would be flaky, but as in I'm first asking about Irish wolfhounds and then changing tacks and asking about bloodhounds; that sounded kind of flaky, like I can't make up my mind. There are so many cool dogs and so little time...

I don't have them, but a good friend at work does. She raises them, in the house, on her 8 acres, with her sister. She always has about 12 or so permanent resident pets (all in the house!), and occasionally has puppies for sale. Several of hers have won BOB, among other things. Her dogs are very, very nice, and they are very responsible breeders who truly care about their dogs. I generally don't approve of breeders, but she is the exception. Her kennel name is Caraglen, and she's in Northwest Missouri.

Last edited:
I love those Irish Wolfhounds and they are a gentle breed!

The only thing closest in size were be my Borzois I used to have. They are gentle breed as well but they do need room to run. I do not know if the I.W. needs alot of room to run but they would need some exercise. Longivity is not their strong suits on both breeds but I had one Borzoi lived up to ten years old which seven to eight years are the norm. I must agree cardio problems are still prevalant in some larger breeds. My first Borzoi died of heart failure which it was an unseen aorta ruptured earlier when she ran into the horse fence and recovered. After her spay surgery, she died two days later. Vet found a torn aorta that had clogged up her artery and thus, she died of a heart attack resulted from that. I thought she was fine but really she wasn't but she did recover two days later acting like nothing had happened. I loved that dog and after she passed away, I got the two twin Borzoi brothers that I loved to death!

So I do not think they are any different than the two breeds. I know Borzois can not be around rambulous rough housing type kids because they are more of a "prissy" side or regal attitude about them LOL! Irish Wolfhounds I've met, they are aloof and nothing fazes them. I always seem to find them around the Scottish or Celtic Festivals in pairs. In dog shows, they are shown alone and they did fine with human companionship.

Go get yourself one, despite of the risks but just do your homework and ask alot of questions!

Back
Top Bottom