Is a "Marrueco" Chicken the same as a Maran?

Happy Camper

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Puerto Rico
I have had only English breeds in my small flock so far. Yesterday I got three huge 3 week chicks from another farm and they told me they were "Gallos Marruecos". They grow pretty big (7-8 pounders) but the colors I got don't fit the Maran description and I think the eggs are not dark chocolate.

Mine are white, yellow and brown. One of them has gray/greenish legs. If they are Marruecos (in Spanish) aren't they supposed to be Morrocan chickens? Is there a Morrocan breed?

I am so confused... specially when here in the Caribbean I may be seen "tropical" versions of other breeds...
idunno.gif

What is the leg color on the other two chicks?
What type of combs do they have?
Is each chick white/yellow/brown or is that the description of three different colored chick?
Can you show us photos of them?

Last edited:
Mmmm... you got me there. I can't remember since I just got them yesterday and is dark outside now. I'll check tomorrow and most probably upload a pic...

I was reading about breeds and some people say Easter Eggers have green/olive legs, but mine have combs already showing and I did not notice combs on EE. The one with green legs is a white pullet. The cockerel is a deep yellow and I believe legs are white and the brown one I believe has dark legs, but don't quote me on this...

A pic will help a lot... will do it tomorrow.
hmm.png

Woohoooo!!! I have been trying for days to upload these!!!
This is the green legged chick... (I think's a pullet) what breed is it?

This would be the cockerel... (same hatching from same parents...

The other pullet... same parents/hatching...

What's the breed????

Well, it isn't a breed. Googling the phrase led me to believe it's a slang term, maybe just for a mixed breed chicken. One reference said it meant a fighting cock that didn't fight well, so ???

But all those birds are too different in color and leg color, etc, to all be a standardized breed.

Looking at the variation in color I would say you probably got EEs, especially with the green-legged chick.
Do they all have regular straight combs? Or? Kind of hard to tell for sure from the photos.
You may not ever know what they are considering the difference in colors.
They are a mix of some kind it appears.

Hmmm... Well, if you just saw the green legged... what breed does it look more like? Or from what line of breeds do they come form?

These chicks parents are 8 to 10 pounders... and although colors vary they look pretty much the same...

You are right about the slang... remember here in PR cockfighting is still legal and most chickens are grown for that purpose... so I guess the term to identify a non-fighting cock could be Marrueco indistinctive of the actual breed...

Back
Top Bottom