Is it possible to get the best of both worlds?

Pics

mwturn99

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2023
Is there a chicken with the oriental aesthetic of a gamefowl, that is simultaneously a great layer, a broiler, and cold hardy?
if no such bird exists, would cross breeding a gamefowl with a more domesticated chicken (for example AGB x Jersey giant) result in a useless bird, or a perfect cross? Has anyone tried this?

:welcome!
Don’t expect to find to max in a combination of what you are wishing.

Maybe Campines are a great choice for you? They sure look great, can fly /flee better then most chickens, are reasonably good layers, but a bit too skinny to get broiler meat.

:welcome!
Don’t expect to find to max in a combination of what you are wishing.

Maybe Campines are a great choice for you? They sure look great, can fly /flee better then most chickens, are reasonably good layers, but a bit too skinny to get broiler meat.
A great option possibly.
I would love a do it all chicken, and there are plenty out there, but if only they came in those wild colors.

Welsummers are pretty close to what you are looking for I think. Some Cochins have a similar color to what you are looking for, just not as vibrant and a lot more fluff.

I don't think there is any breed in the world where the hen has those kinds of colors. Have you considered just getting an ornamental rooster and some dual purpose hens?

Welsummers are pretty close to what you are looking for I think. Some Cochins have a similar color to what you are looking for, just not as vibrant and a lot more fluff.

I don't think there is any breed in the world where the hen has those kinds of colors. Have you considered just getting an ornamental rooster and some dual purpose hens?
That is actually a really good idea. However I would want my chickens to reproduce on their own, and I don't think the bastardization would brew good genetics. I'd probably end up with the ugly colors of a jersey giant and the terrible laying from the gamefowl lol

Bastards as you call them (mix breeds without selection for most eggs or most meat), have in general better genes to be fit for a longer life or environmental circumstances.

Many breeds come in different colours. Often there is a partridge colour among them. In the Netherlands we have a site /encyclopedia that shows all possible colours for each breed (available in NL/Europe).

http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Categorie:Kippenrassen

The heritage breed Drents hoen, has beautiful wild colours. But I dont think they lay much and are not sold in the US.
http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Drentshoen

Back
Top Bottom