ISA Brown/EE and Leghorn/EE eggs - PICS OF CHICKS ADDED

Eggcellent

Songster
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Michigan's Thumb
I picked up a dozen eggs from a farmer a few weeks back just to test an incubator with more than anything. He had leghorn and ISA brown hens and a EE rooster. He only had one rooster for 35+ hens so I figured chances weren't good on high fertility rates.

Of the dozen eggs, 7 were brown, 3 were white and 2 were green/blue. Not real sure how green or blue eggs were laid by only ISA browns and leghorns so I am guessing there were some EEer crosses there already. Although every hen I saw looked like a prototypical ISA brown or leghorn. It seems the rooster preferred ISA browns the most (or maybe he could just catch them easier)

All 7 brown eggs were fertile

Only 1 white egg was fertile

Only 1 green/blue egg was fertile

Now that my little test was more successful than I had imagined... What can I expect these 9 chicks to be like? Just wondering on appearance, temperament and egg colors more than anything. I guess I can't be too picky considering he was selling the eggs for $1 a dozen. (I did give him more than that just to help support a fellow chicken farmer)

It's kind of fun having these mixed eggs in the bator.... Kind of like Christmas!

I will post some photos of the chicks once they hatch so you all can see what they look like.

Last edited:
I hatched an EE/RIR, EE/EE, and an EE/Isa brown. The Rooster was an EE. The Isa hatched out yellow, but sadly didn't survive long after hatch. The EE/RIR hatched out a white like color. She has her feathers now, and is mostly white ( she has some black here and there). The EE/EE hatched out grey, and her feathers have turned out a wheaten color ( I think that's what you call it), and some black mixed in. They are very pretty girls.

Bluemoon

Quote:
The hens were ISA Browns so they were brown with some white feathers or white leghorns, so they were all white. The rooster was really colorful, almost like a brown leghorn but had legs that were more blue than green.

Well I have 3 new chicks so far, with 4 more pipped. Two of them are pretty much all yellow, the other one is yellow with a black back. I will take some photos of them in a few. Their legs are pinkish right now. One of them has a definite pea comb. Do easter eggers start out with pink legs before they turn green?

3-mystery-chicks.jpg

Here are the three that have hatched so far. The middle one has a pea comb and I can see a hint of green on their legs with the LED light.

Back
Top Bottom