It's a colorful world - but not around the spouse or the ducks!

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
It was pouring down rain here yesterday. I put on my bright orange slicker and carried my dad's big old multicolored golf umbrella in an attempt to stay dry when I went out to clean the duck houses. Now, I have read that ducks do not like bright colors. And I did hesitate when I put the jacket on and started out....but I really wanted to stay dry. Turns out the ducks are about as scared of bright colors as the spouse is! (I can only get him navy, forest green, tan, brown, gray clothing....). Ducks went into a frenzy of fear. I quickly closed the umbrella, took off the slicker, and got soaked through three layers of clothing....but the ducks were happy and houses were clean.

My ducks don't care what color things are. The geese, on the other hand, don't like me to wear things they aren't familiar with, no matter what color it is. I wore a dark blue knit ski hat yesterday because an icy wind was blowing and I had to be outdoors for hours. The geese refused to accept that it was really me.

They would sound the alarm, then stop when I spoke to them. Then everytime I rounded the corner again, they would set up the alarm, again. Stranger alert!!!!!

Yeah, recently got my hair cut really short. The ducks noticed (and were scared of me) before the spouse did! LOL

you ought to see how mine react when i put on the mask when cleaning, they seem to be better now but they really freaked out when i first started doing it.

They really do like everything to stay "the same"! I brought out my umbrella when we were hanging in the yard one day...JEEZ! And if I put the hood up on my sweatshirt they think I'm a terrorist I'm sure! Even putting the waterer in a different area of the pen gets then all outta sorts!

Guess we're just supposed to like the rain, huh, Ballard Duck? Too bad the water doesn't run off our feathers - especially that last two days - although I understand Seattle is in the rain shadow, so you probably aren't getting dumped on like we have. Our pond is up a foot from yesterday! But ducks are really happy!

Haven't tried cleaning with a mask, Miss Lydia. But that is a good idea....although it would cause a bit of a panic I am afraid. Funny what scares them. Even when you are talking to them they still don't recognize you if something is different.

I don’t really think the color of the umbrella is what they were afraid of, because both of my ducks are TERRIFIED of umbrellas, and I’ve only ever used a black one around them, I tried leaving the umbrella in their cage today in hopes they would get used to it(because I’m not going to get soaked while taking care of them on rainy days) but as soon as I picked it back up they both went nuts...

Back
Top Bottom