Ivermectin (topical) dosage for tiny serama chickens?

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Hi,

Its not an emergency, and I did try to look it up but could not find any information so I'm asking here on treating serama chickens with ivermectin pour on.

I know for my standard size birds its between 3 to 5 drops on the skin on the back of the neck, but I have no idea if its ok to use ivermectin on seramas, let alone how much one can put on. I did read its one drop for a bantam, but these are smaller than bantams... Does anyone here put this on their seramas? Mine seem to be the smallest class of seramas, except for a few.

So I'm asking if anyone has any information on how much is ok to use? Can't really put on 'one half drop', so I'm clueless as to how to treat them for bugs, mites and things of that nature.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

'

What are you treating for (mites/lice or internal parasites like worms)? I would probably still give each bird one drop of Ivermectin; from what I've read, it has a large safety margin. I raise Dutch bantams, which weigh around 15-22 oz (the smaller weight being younger pullets), and have successfully used one drop of Ivermectin on them, with no apparent ill effects.

If you're treating for mites/lice, though, you could take the safer route and simply use Sevin dust, which is sold for gardens. Dust each bird with the Sevin and reapply dust 7-10 days later. That will quickly kill any adult mites/lice on the bird. The reason you dust 7-10 days later is to kill any mites/lice that hatch from laid eggs.

If you're using the Ivermectin to worm your birds, you could also consider a different wormer, such as Safeguard or Valbazen. Those wormers can be used on many different sizes of birds and have the added benefit of being more effective wormers than Ivermectin.

I'm not really treating right now, but I suppose just trying to gather knowledge ahead of time as I realized I didn't know.

I would probably be treating for mites or lice. I typically have a regimen that I do with my regular flock, and so I never really questioned that I might not know how or how much to treat the tiny seramas with that same treatment plan. It has me concerned because I once gave too much ivermectin pour on to one of my hens and she died that night. (Long story- basically another hen came by and squeezed the dropper bulb, thinking it was food, while I was dropping the ivermectin on her- so she got about three or four times the amount than what she should have and sure enough she was dead the next morning, sadly.) So I know that if you over dose, you can very well kill your bird with that stuff. With seramas being so small, I'm just concerned that perhaps it might be too much for them and wondered if that is what other serama owners use. The one serama I have is so small she can sit comfortably in my hand. I'm just a bit nervous about using the stuff on them. (This is my first year raising seramas)

I do have the sevin dust and a duster (accordion bottle) so I suppose I will just use that. Easy enough and it does work well enough I'm sure.

Thank you for your advice! Love the birds in your avatar! They are such a beautiful couple!

I'm not really treating right now, but I suppose just trying to gather knowledge ahead of time as I realized I didn't know.

I would probably be treating for mites or lice. I typically have a regimen that I do with my regular flock, and so I never really questioned that I might not know how or how much to treat the tiny seramas with that same treatment plan. It has me concerned because I once gave too much ivermectin pour on to one of my hens and she died that night. (Long story- basically another hen came by and squeezed the dropper bulb, thinking it was food, while I was dropping the ivermectin on her- so she got about three or four times the amount than what she should have and sure enough she was dead the next morning, sadly.) So I know that if you over dose, you can very well kill your bird with that stuff. With seramas being so small, I'm just concerned that perhaps it might be too much for them and wondered if that is what other serama owners use. The one serama I have is so small she can sit comfortably in my hand. I'm just a bit nervous about using the stuff on them. (This is my first year raising seramas)

I do have the sevin dust and a duster (accordion bottle) so I suppose I will just use that. Easy enough and it does work well enough I'm sure.

Thank you for your advice! Love the birds in your avatar! They are such a beautiful couple!
Thank you! They were my first pair of Dutch bantams, from which I got many chicks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom