Kebbonix humidity issue

Aug 7, 2020
I set my eggs about 18 hrs ago and did the usual that I've done-- but the humidity is hovering around 65%. Relative humidity in the room where the incubator is located is about 27%. I removed as much water as I could without disturbing the eggs. I know that it will eventually drop as the water gets lower in the inside reservoir but I'm worried the eggs will get too wet. This is my first winter hatch so I'm constantly checking the humidity. Temp is steady at 99.5. I never had a problem with the incubator when the relative humidity in my house was higher than 50ish so I'm not quite sure what's going on. Any input appreciated. I can cull if I have to and try again in a few weeks but if the humidity at that level won't harm the eggs I'd rather keep them in and let the reservoir level drop the humidity down slowly.

I don't think you have to cull. Get the humidity a little lower. This is my experience right now as I am currently using the 12 egg Kebonnixs incubator. If you add too much water it is very hard to control spikes. I did that accidentally so I opened the air vent ALL the way, only while I was home though and I checked the humidity every hour until it went down. Then I put the vent back to half and didn't add any more water until it naturally got a lower percentage. Then I would only add a dropper of water at a time and wait an hour to see what it went up to. I'm in SW FL so relative humidity is always quite high. I will never do a wet incubation again. I'm going straight into dry incubation with a second incubator and will only add water for humidity on lockdown day.

I don't think you have to cull. Get the humidity a little lower. This is my experience right now as I am currently using the 12 egg Kebonnixs incubator. If you add too much water it is very hard to control spikes. I did that accidentally so I opened the air vent ALL the way, only while I was home though and I checked the humidity every hour until it went down. Then I put the vent back to half and didn't add any more water until it naturally got a lower percentage. Then I would only add a dropper of water at a time and wait an hour to see what it went up to. I'm in SW FL so relative humidity is always quite high. I will never do a wet incubation again. I'm going straight into dry incubation with a second incubator and will only add water for humidity on lockdown day.
I agree. I also have the KEBONNIXS and am also in sw FL, so humidity is all year here. I don't add water until lockdown.

Thank you so much 💖. I didn't even think about the dropper. We have so many of them I asked my mom if she had any clean ones so I'm doing that. It fell to 27% last night which is the same as the relative humidity in our house but I'm not comfortable under 45-50%. I just popped in 10ml and it was so darn simple 🤦🏽‍♀️🫣. I don't know how well this clutch is going to do because a few of the eggs sat out at room temperature but we don't have lack of eggs if they are duds. I thought my sablepoot roo was a dud but something told me wait because he still had a heartbeat and day 24 and a bit of assistance he's now an extremely healthy 15 month old and very loving. The egg turner stopped for lockdown so he and one of his sisters didn't get turned hence me checking for heartbeats. I couldn't figure out what to do because after his other 2 sisters it was about 2-3 days. I stagger hatched over 2-3 days and I'm trying to avoid that again. My nerves were so frayed!! Sorry this was so long. I don't have many people that I can talk about our farm stuff with. 😳

Thank you so much 💖. I didn't even think about the dropper. We have so many of them I asked my mom if she had any clean ones so I'm doing that. It fell to 27% last night which is the same as the relative humidity in our house but I'm not comfortable under 45-50%. I just popped in 10ml and it was so darn simple 🤦🏽‍♀️🫣. I don't know how well this clutch is going to do because a few of the eggs sat out at room temperature but we don't have lack of eggs if they are duds. I thought my sablepoot roo was a dud but something told me wait because he still had a heartbeat and day 24 and a bit of assistance he's now an extremely healthy 15 month old and very loving. The egg turner stopped for lockdown so he and one of his sisters didn't get turned hence me checking for heartbeats. I couldn't figure out what to do because after his other 2 sisters it was about 2-3 days. I stagger hatched over 2-3 days and I'm trying to avoid that again. My nerves were so frayed!! Sorry this was so long. I don't have many people that I can talk about our farm stuff with. 😳
:D Don't be sorry! I also don't have anyone that shares my chicken craziness, so I understand. I can also relate to you thinking one was a dud and surprised you. I posted pics of some of my eggs that looked concerning, and one everyone thought for sure was a quitter but it was the first one that hatched yesterday. Super healthy and active so far. A second bantam hatched last night and it's so tiny, half the size of the other chick and so adorable. Another bantam egg did a tiny pip yesterday but no progress since so I'm getting worried about that one. I also tried to stagger hatch the bantams with standards and I won't do that again either. They all together and come what may! I just put 44 eggs in 2 new incubators yesterday. My husband is just laughing at my crazy and going along with it. :love

Back
Top Bottom