Khaki Campbell

CountryMomma88

Hatching
May 28, 2018
We have has our 2 Khaki Campbell for a few months now,at the beginning one we had to give niacin to. But the other day we was letting them swim while we ran errands,when we came home one had sunk only thing out of water was his beck & eyes...well every since he cant walk or when he tries to he just falls back down.
What could be the issue???

Can they normally get out of the pool easily on their own? Is it possibly the duckling just got exhausted and couldn't keep going any more? Were the feathers totally water logged or pretty dry/water repellent looking? I would definitely give him some TLC in a warm dry safe spot alone for awhile to regain some strength.

Can they normally get out of the pool easily on their own? Is it possibly the duckling just got exhausted and couldn't keep going any more? Were the feathers totally water logged or pretty dry/water repellent looking? I would definitely give him some TLC in a warm dry safe spot alone for awhile to regain some strength.

Yes they can normal get out easily. His feathers were water logged when we got home. we now have him in a bedded area with a heat lamp.

Once his feathers were waterlogged it would have been hard for him to stay afloat. Even in warm water, it's much colder than body temp and they can get seriously chilled after too much time. Hopefully once he warms up and gets food and water and maybe some vitamins or electrolytes he will be doing much better. It's possible he is having a problem with his oil gland? Maybe read up on wet feather? (and oil gland problems in ducks) I hope he makes a full recovery and you can get to the root of the problem.

How do you give ducks electrolytes and know they are getting it? I thought about this earlier today. It's hit or miss on what they drink versus dunking their heads.

How do you give ducks electrolytes and know they are getting it? I thought about this earlier today. It's hit or miss on what they drink versus dunking their heads.
If concerned about them actually drinking the electrolytes, offer just the electrolytes for a bit then switch to clean water. This will ensure they do in fact drink some of the electrolytes. Alternate in intervals. But if you leave for work or errands leave both.

Back
Top Bottom