Lame Chicken

FRlEDeggs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
24 week old Cuckoo Marans, unsure of weight but very light
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Unable to stand. Feels very emaciated. We think the right leg is the main problem. She also does not like to stretch her right wing. Does everything else fine but can not put weight on her legs. Her legs are not paralyzed, she just can't put weight on them.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
1 About 2 weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea, one day she was limping, the next she couldn't stand
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Eating Purina Start and Grow, drinking Trader Joe's electrolyte water. She gets mealworms daily
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Poly-Vi-Sol, TLC, Immoblilzing in a "sling"
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Maybe later, camera is broken
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings

Help?

Last edited:
Any other symptoms like watery eyes, swollen sinus, if you listen to the chest... any wheezing? Any head tilt or funny head/neck movements? If you open her mouth does it look normal inside, no scabs etc... Has she been wormed if on the ground? Has she ever been treated for coccidia?

Quote:
None of those symptoms...

We have wormed her with Wazine 17 and will be giving her the follow up wormers soon.
She still eats medicated feed

If it is emaciation or a leg injury, how long can it take her to walk again? If there is no improvement after a month is this long enough to conclude she won't be getting better...?

Quote:
I have given her a thorough going over and there doesn't appear to be any broken bones or swelling.

Quote:
I'm currently giving her Poly-Vi-Sol
smile.png
We'll just have to see how things turn out!

Back
Top Bottom