Likelihood of male turkey becoming aggressive at maturity?

ATeacherChick

Chirping
Feb 9, 2018
Most of my experience is with chickens, and there's always that 50/50 chance your cockerels will grow up into child-chasing, leg-attacking, human-stalking, back-spurring monsters. Is it the same with turkeys? I just acquired 5 little poults, 2 Bronze, 2 Royal Palms and one either Spanish Black or black Slate. They're straight run, and I'm just curious about the possibility of having 5 30lb man eating raptors roaming my yard 6 months from now. Right now they're cuddly little buggers--much more so than any chicken chicks I ever raised.

I have raised baby turkeys and they have been very docile for me. But the male that was given to me when I first breed my females is very aggressive. I told him today he was on my last nerve and headed to the freezer, I could not even go in the pen today to clean their water. My other two males I can pet but they have not been placed with females yet, so it's possible that they might get aggressive when they start protecting their mate. First I have to figure a way of getting that male turkey out of my pen without battle scars! He has got to go and I will be putting one of my males in there.

Naragansetts, Royal Palms, and Midget Whites are usually friendlier as toms from what I hear. But, i've heard a lot of bourbon red turkey horror stories with the toms. Bourbon reds can be aggressive.

Naragansetts, Royal Palms, and Midget Whites are usually friendlier as toms from what I hear. But, i've heard a lot of bourbon red turkey horror stories with the toms. Bourbon reds can be aggressive.
I've had toms from RPs, MWs, and Narragansetts at different times...all were gentlemen even with hens around...but that's just anecdotal evidence.

My chicken friends are getting attacked by the roosters all the time.. Meanwhile Ive had over 20 toms past 1 year period and never have had even 1 ever come at me or children. But I have heard stories of ones that do.

Anecdotally (and it's also not a huge sample size):
I've had four bourbon red toms go through spring mating season while old enough to be affected by it. I've had zero human-aggressive toms.

Back
Top Bottom