Lump on chickens face, possible tumor

Tiffy316

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2019
One of my chickens has had an odd, oblong lump on her face for a few weeks now. I dont know what caused it or what it is, but she doesn't appear to be sick. It's a hard lump that I can move aroynd a little with my finger. What is it, and what should I do about it? Thanks.

Attachments

• 0710211428.jpg
    0710211428.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 0710211428a.jpg
    0710211428a.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 16
It looks more like a pocket of pus from a sinus infection than a tumor. Have you manipulated it to see if it moves around under the skin? Is it soft like a water balloon? Or hard and anchored in place?

Try this. With one finger, place it at the bottom of the swelling and exert gentle pressure toward the eye. What, if anything, appears at the top of the little bag?

It's hard, but I can move it around if I push it with my finger. It doesn't seem to change shape though.

Tumors are anchored in place and wouldn't move. A cyst will move. Have you tried pushing the contents of the little "bag" toward the eye to see if anything appears there at the edge of the eye? I will not hurt the chick to do this any more than if you push up the top of your cheek toward your eye.

Yeah, nothing appeared at the edge of her eye. It's underneath her eye, but not close enough for anything to actually come out of her eye. It's kind of on her cheek.

Some cysts last years. Other can disappear in weeks. Only the cyst knows how long it plans to sit there. About the only concern is the eye with the cyst pulling down on that tissue. If you see the chick scratching the eye, that would mean it's causing discomfort, perhaps drying out or dirt getting in it. Be prepared with some eye wash to flush the eye periodically.

She may have mycoplasma that is causing the cyst like issues. If you want to know for sure, you can have a vet take a swab around the eye.

If it is that, many birds have it and still do well. Just make sure to keep your flock healthy, cage cleaned and food and water source disinfected often.

It helps to add vitamins to the water once a week or biweekly. Orego stim may also help a bit. Probiotics may also be beneficial.

Hope she does ok!

Back
Top Bottom