Major trouble raising POLISH chicks PLEASE HELP

Oh no...

I'm sorry.

They are fine birds, just very delicate.
Polish and Sultans are born like Bantams, so tiny that life is precarious at best.

I think it was something else that it died from. I would have avoided spraying its head with anything, but that is my choice.
Sometimes chicks up to a few weeks old just die. I lost 2 last night out of about 130.

Remember the love that you gave that chick.
She loved you.

Spicy

delicate was the word I was looking for

yes she did die of other causes and there was not only no sign of pecking but the crest was showing signs of good healing

I tried my best with her but It was not enough

I think maybe in a few years I will try again

If they are of the same age then yes they should be fine to brooded together. Once the crest feathers start to come though I would keep a close eye on the situation. They have very prominent crests which can sometimes attract unwanted attention. Polish in general don't do well in mixed flocks some do though it really does depend on the temperament of the other birds.

Good luck with them :thumbsup

If they are of the same age then yes they should be fine to brooded together. Once the crest feathers start to come though I would keep a close eye on the situation. They have very prominent crests which can sometimes attract unwanted attention. Polish in general don't do well in mixed flocks some do though it really does depend on the temperament of the other birds.

Good luck with them
thumbsup.gif
Yes, from what I understand Australorps are a very calm and docile breed, but I do have an area that I can put the Polish Chicks in if need be. Thanks for answering. Rose
goodpost.gif

I just saw this is an old chat, but so interesting, I could not resist buying 3 in the local market, along with 3 ordinary red chicks, I guess younger, and 2 beautiful whites. The polish punks are being pecked by the young red chicks, so I have seperated them for the time being. I want peace. I wonder if you solved your problem?

I posted earlier in this thread but I'll repeat what worked for me was the blu-kote. You can get it at tractor supply, etc. It is an anti bacterial spray similar to dermablast you use for humans but it's made for animals so it has the purplish dye in it. It's very important that no red wounds are visible or your chick is at risk of being pecked by it's companions. It's safe, colors the wound to prevent more pecking & helps healing like neosporin. It saved my lovely polish chick & now she's a happy part of my mixed little flock. Good luck. They are delicate when young but after that rough patch I've had no other problems with her. She's about 3 yrs or so now and one of my favorites. Also one everyone asks about because she's so interesting looking.

Hi,
I was also having some trouble with my polish chicks. A few weeks ago (about 7 or 8) I had ordered 15 chicks from a hatchery, two of which were silver laced polish chicks. When they arrived, one didn't even last the night, and the second lasted a day or two before it died. They were obviously smaller than the other chicks but we're not being picked on. We supplied them with a brooder, food and water, and while the other chicks seemed to thrive, the two were weak. I had read that they're quite fragile as chicks, but in the future if I get more polish chicks, what should I do differently to ensure them living?

Back
Top Bottom