malpositioned duck, external pip away from air cell(membrane not broken) When to assist

Aug 1, 2020
Arkansas
Ok I’ve searched and read a lot of the how to assist and when to assist. Today is Day 27 (so yes I know it is early). All 4 of my eggs externally pipped yesterday Day 26 (really 25 since they had been set in the evening). One of the ducks externally pipped on the underside-away from the air cell. I have seen more shell crack since I was able to turn the egg and the pip is upward. However, the duck did not break through the membrane when it pipped. At what point should I consider using tweezers to open up the membrane? I know most things say wait 48 to assist but when I was reading about Malpositioned it looks like the way my duck pipped would be considered a lethal malposition-at least I’m assuming this is its position based on the pip location. It also had a very large air cell compared to the other eggs. The membrane that’s there is white but also has some brown/tannish (I’m guessing bruising?) it doesn’t make sense to do a safety hole, right? I would just need to open the membrane?

Also excuse the pencil marks I never marked them at lockdown so the air cell is much bigger)

Attachments

• DF8DA7CA-4478-4567-B056-68D8D987516A.jpeg
    DF8DA7CA-4478-4567-B056-68D8D987516A.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 157
  • D4047C95-9FB3-42FF-86FF-1E556011C5EF.jpeg
    D4047C95-9FB3-42FF-86FF-1E556011C5EF.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 63
  • B9C43BCF-76E9-43DE-A93E-A5FED6818A5E.jpeg
    B9C43BCF-76E9-43DE-A93E-A5FED6818A5E.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 1D783B4D-F364-4AB5-B46F-37D542DCA02A.jpeg
    1D783B4D-F364-4AB5-B46F-37D542DCA02A.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 45
Ok I’ve searched and read a lot of the how to assist and when to assist. Today is Day 27 (so yes I know it is early). All 4 of my eggs externally pipped yesterday Day 26 (really 25 since they had been set in the evening). One of the ducks externally pipped on the underside-away from the air cell. I have seen more shell crack since I was able to turn the egg and the pip is upward. However, the duck did not break through the membrane when it pipped. At what point should I consider using tweezers to open up the membrane? I know most things say wait 48 to assist but when I was reading about Malpositioned it looks like the way my duck pipped would be considered a lethal malposition-at least I’m assuming this is its position based on the pip location. It also had a very large air cell compared to the other eggs. The membrane that’s there is white but also has some brown/tannish (I’m guessing bruising?) it doesn’t make sense to do a safety hole, right? I would just need to open the membrane?

Also excuse the pencil marks I never marked them at lockdown so the air cell is much bigger)
I'm not terribly sure on this. Is the duckling peeping? Likely this duckling is still absorbing and rushing in could do more harm than good.
He's been externally pipped since yesterday, correct?
Let me link some more experienced people in:
@WVduckchick @HollowOfWisps

I'm not terribly sure on this. Is the duckling peeping? Likely this duckling is still absorbing and rushing in could do more harm than good.
He's been externally pipped since yesterday, correct?
Let me link some more experienced people in:
@WVduckchick @HollowOfWisps
Yes, it was the 2nd one to externally pip so probably about 22 hours now. There is at least 1 peeping inside it’s egg but hard to tell which one as I am trying hard to not open the incubator. I figure they’re all still absorbing. The 1st to pip has been very vocal but hasn’t zipped yet (I know that can take a long time). I’m guessing since it didn’t pierce the air cell it wouldn’t be peeping though. I’m trying to be hands off but after reading the post about Malpositioned it made me wonder if I needed to be more concerned about intervening. 🤔damned if you do damned if you don’t I guess. I will sit patiently on my hands. (1st time hatching. I set 6 in hopes that 2-3 would succeed, so the fact I have 4 this far is amazing to me)

Yes, it was the 2nd one to externally pip so probably about 22 hours now. There is at least 1 peeping inside it’s egg but hard to tell which one as I am trying hard to not open the incubator. I figure they’re all still absorbing. The 1st to pip has been very vocal but hasn’t zipped yet (I know that can take a long time). I’m guessing since it didn’t pierce the air cell it wouldn’t be peeping though. I’m trying to be hands off but after reading the post about Malpositioned it made me wonder if I needed to be more concerned about intervening. 🤔damned if you do damned if you don’t I guess. I will sit patiently on my hands. (1st time hatching. I set 6 in hopes that 2-3 would succeed, so the fact I have 4 this far is amazing to me)
Honestly, not being experienced in this situation, I'd be scared to advise, personally I would want to put a small hole in the membrane at the pip so the baby has air, very carefully, trying not to catch any veins or harm the baby- but this might not be the right thing to do, unfortunately it seems no one else is online so we might just have to figure this out ourselves!

You could make a very small hole/cut in the membrane at the external pip, where it is exposed, so baby has air. Then wait and see if he is able to continue on his own. Apply a little coconut oil to the membrane if you do open the incubator to prevent it drying out...If you do hit a vein and there is any bleeding, press a clean paper towel against the bleeding until it stops.
Or you could perhaps remove shell over the air cell to see what is going on...
But it's still fairly early and with other babies pipping you don't really want to open the incubator too much...

The only time I hatched ducks, the first was very slow, VERY! Was about, over 48 hours of trying. And in the end she needed me to finish unzipping for her.

Have you read the article on assisted hatching? Let me see if I link it.
I hope your babies will be okay!
Let me @ one more person, @Miss Lydia, anyone else who could help that I haven't linked?

Last edited:
Assisted hatching article here

Honestly, not being experienced in this situation, I'd be scared to advise, personally I would want to put a small hole in the membrane at the pip so the baby has air, very carefully, trying not to catch any veins or harm the baby- but this might not be the right thing to do, unfortunately it seems no one else is online so we might just have to figure this out ourselves!

My suggestion is to make a very small hole/cut in the membrane at the external pip, where it is exposed, so baby has air. Then wait and see if he is able to continue on his own. Apply a little coconut oil to the membrane if you do open the incubator to prevent it drying out...If you do hit a vein and there is any bleeding, press a clean paper towel against the bleeding until it stops.
Or you could perhaps remove shell over the air cell to see what is going on...

The only time I hatched ducks, the first was very slow, VERY! Was about, over 48 hours of trying. And in the end she needed me to finish unzipping for her.

Have you read the article on assisted hatching? Let me see if I link it.
I hope your babies will be okay!
Let me @ one more person, @Miss Lydia, anyone else who could help that I haven't linked?
Thanks! Yes, I’ve read the articles on assisting numerous times (and still feel unprepared!) I don’t want to do it too early but don’t want to be too late either. That’s what I was thinking, to open the (outer) membrane so baby could get air. I plan to get all the supplies ready and on hand before I would do anything. But since the others have pipped too I really hate to open the incubator (though I know I could quickly grab it). Thanks for your help. I’m going to wait a bit longer. Ah it’s like being in prodromal labor and waiting for a baby to be born.

Thanks! Yes, I’ve read the articles on assisting numerous times (and still feel unprepared!) I don’t want to do it too early but don’t want to be too late either. That’s what I was thinking, to open the (outer) membrane so baby could get air. I plan to get all the supplies ready and on hand before I would do anything. But since the others have pipped too I really hate to open the incubator (though I know I could quickly grab it). Thanks for your help. I’m going to wait a bit longer. Ah it’s like being in prodromal labor and waiting for a baby to be born.
I agree with your choice of waiting a bit longer, and with other eggs all pipping it complicates it! Hatching is so nerve wracking! Keep an eye on him, mine both zipped between 12-24 hours after breaking through fully with an external pip, since its been about 22 hours for him, he may surprise us and pip through the membrane/start zipping soon! Fingers crossed :fl

It's good that you're preparing!

Back
Top Bottom