My chickens are sooo skinny!

mertzee

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Middle TN
I have 5 hens - 3 black sexlinks and 2 wheat marans. I have been struggling for several months now trying to figure out why my hens are so skinny...I mean bony! I have watched their poop and no sign of worms (I called my vet but because they "don't treat chickens" they wouldn't even do a stool sample???) I have also watched for mites - nothing! They free ranged all summer as well as had crumbles readily available at all times. My mom was giving them too many treats which I had to cut way back. I am now restricting their free ranging (I figure there's so few bugs this time of year anyway) and have changed the 16% crumbles to 22% mini pellets. I give them just a bit of scratch a couple times a week and have given them fresh cut turnip greens a few times. One is molting but I'm still down to 1 egg a day maybe 2 if I'm lucky. What can I do to help put some weight on them and increase egg production? They aren't too keen on the pellets either but I've stopped giving them anything else in an effort to straighten their diets out. I figure they will eat them or go hungry - which I really don't think they would do. I'm worried that they won't do well in the winter cold this thin. They are supposed to be all less than 2 yrs old.

Also on a side note...do chicken feathers go white as they age? I have one that came to me with a few little white spots on her head and now she has quite a few??

Thanks in advance!!!

Two year old hens are about due to have their first molt. This will halt egg laying and some hens wait until spring to start laying again.
Your hens should not be fat but have a healthy weight.the breastbone can be found in the center of your hens chest.
Gently feel through the feathers for this bone. If the ridge is sharp and prominent, if you can pinch it between your fingers and dont feel any meat, then your chicken is underweight. On the other hand if you feel lots of meat on each side and even an indent in the bone ridge, then your chicken is to fat.
Let us know the results of this test.
At night is best after your hens have gone to roost.

Cut out ALL treats ... Only their feed and maybe some extra protein (meal worms, scrambled eggs). It's probably got to do with their molting also but treats are the biggest issue ... I know from experience and no longer feed "treats" even if it's "healthy". It throws off the balance in the nutrition they NEED from their feed.

Here's how to get an actual body condition score: http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/chicken-body-condition-score-chart

chicken_body_condition_score_chart_poultrydvm.jpg

Layer breeds are often "skinny" compared to meat breeds.

Do you know when the feed was milled? Most commercial chicken feed is stored in a central warehouse for what could be many many months before being sold to the customer. Nutrients and amino acids deteriorate VERY quickly over time so fresh feed is crucial.

If you just have layers, 22% protein is unnecessary and your hens won’t benefit any more than 16-17% feed. All that extra protein goes to waste if your feed isn’t providing the proper amino acids needed to put the protein to work.

Do you give your chickens grit? Grit is vital in aiding digestion and could also be contributing to some problems if they don’t have enough.

If you just have layers, 22% protein is unnecessary and your hens won’t benefit any more than 16-17% feed.

While your point about amino acid balance is important, this statement is not accurate.

Layer feed is designed to be the most cost-effective means of supporting high-production, commercial-strain layers through their initial productive period up to their first molt, at which time they are culled. It is not designed to support dual-purpose breeds in optimal health over many years. :)

The majority of the experienced chicken keepers here recommend 18-20% all-flock feed with calcium on the side as more appropriate for backyard flocks.

Back
Top Bottom