Mycoplasma questions

ChicksnMore

😉
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Arizona
I have multiple separate flocks and different bird species on my property. One flock recently had a confirmed outbreak of mycoplasma.

None of the other coops have had any illness, the infected flock has a separate care taker and have all recovered. None died and illness was mild. All coops have distance between them. I'm about to vaccinate my other flocks for mycoplasma but have some questions I couldn't find answers to before I do.

I wish to keep my flock that's infected and I'm trying to decide the safest way to move forward with as little bird loss as possible.

1- Is vaccination enough to protect my other birds if there's a carrier flock on the same property or do I need to cull the carrier flock to keep the rest from possibly become carriers as well even after vaccination?

2- If the other flocks have never been ill and have been vaccinated, can they be given away or sold without risking spreading disease? I know the infected flock has to be kept closed, but are vaccinated birds safe around unvaccinated birds? It's a live vaccine...I could find the answer for Marek's vaccine but not mycoplasma.

3- Is the vaccine practical in my situation, or would it be better to cull the carrier flock, isolate all my remaining coops for a month and then test my flocks for mycoplasma if there's still no illness?

Hoping there's some wise, experienced people who've been through this before that can share advice.

There are a lot of variables to your situation that we can't address. How much space between each coop and run for instance. How much biosecurity is really happening?
The following article (not too long) I think addresses much of what you are asking.
To vaccinate your birds you have to do it before they are exposed to the virus for it to be effective. Since MG can be very slow progression, it's hard to know if any of your birds are already infected and just not showing symptoms. If even one bird in any of the other coops picks it up, it's going to spread there too.
Most of the time, once flocks are MG positive, the recommendation is to make them completely closed, nothing in or out, or to cull and wait a period of time, and then restart with clean birds. There is no real easy answer for you, you have to decide if it's something that you think you can manage, and want to, or not. Since you have birds that are MG positive, I would not be selling or giving any away.
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/vaccinating-to-reduce-risks-from-chronic-respiratory-disease

There are a lot of variables to your situation that we can't address. How much space between each coop and run for instance. How much biosecurity is really happening?
The following article (not too long) I think addresses much of what you are asking.
To vaccinate your birds you have to do it before they are exposed to the virus for it to be effective. Since MG can be very slow progression, it's hard to know if any of your birds are already infected and just not showing symptoms. If even one bird in any of the other coops picks it up, it's going to spread there too.
Most of the time, once flocks are MG positive, the recommendation is to make them completely closed, nothing in or out, or to cull and wait a period of time, and then restart with clean birds. There is no real easy answer for you, you have to decide if it's something that you think you can manage, and want to, or not. Since you have birds that are MG positive, I would not be selling or giving any away.
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/vaccinating-to-reduce-risks-from-chronic-respiratory-disease
So closed flock regardless of vaccine going forward. 👍

There's a half acre between the infected flock and any other flocks. I'm caring for the infected flock right before I shower. I have a pair of plastic shoes I'm using for that coop and leaving outside by the coop. Another person is caring for all the other birds right now while I decide what to do.

It's probably unrealistic to think I can keep it from spreading forever though.

My birds barely got sick, but it sounds like over time their weakened systems make them susceptible to everything under the sun? Am I understanding that right or is it better then that?

It's hard to predict. Different strains of the virus have different virulence. Stress of any kind can cause symptoms to flare. Any of the chronic diseases they can get can weaken the immune systems and allow other diseases to gain a foothold. It sounds like you are doing all you can to prevent spread. Long term it's easy to make a mistake here or there, so really, very hard to predict outcomes. I wish you luck, whatever you decide. Sometimes the decisions boil down to the lesser of the evils, rather than good vs bad. Definitely not easy.

Back
Top Bottom