Mystery: Turken born with feathered neck?!

CrazyCrevecoeur

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
Somehow, and I’m dumbfounded by this, the Turken x Ameraucana mix which hatched has neck feathers?! I may be mistaken, but for the longest time I’ve known for a fact that the Turken gene in chickens is always dominant, no matter what the cross is? Am I right? I thought that they only needed one gene to be a Turken.
If I’m not, could you explain how this may have happened? Thanks.
Also the rooster was Ameraucana and the hen was a red with black tipped tail Turken.

Last edited:
Yes it's dominate so one copy shows.
But those birds with one copy also have one copy of non NN.
When bred to a non NN bird it's a 50/50 chance which gene they will pass. Either the NN or non NN.
So those pairings will only produce about 50% NN offspring.

Yes, the naked neck gene is dominant.
That means that a chicken with a naked neck can also carry the gene that allows neck feathers-- and can pass that gene on to some of its chicks.

Technically, naked neck is incompletely dominant (birds with two copies of the gene are even more naked than birds with one copy of the gene.)

Yes it's dominate so one copy shows.
But those birds with one copy also have one copy of non NN.
When bred to a non NN bird it's a 50/50 chance which gene they will pass. Either the NN or non NN.
So those pairings will only produce about 50% NN offspring.
Thanks for the quick response and that really clears it up now! I see… that is totally fine with me, the chick is still cute! Just got my info a little scrambled I guess, this makes more sense now.

They sure are cute !

Attachments

• 748AA2EB-0DF3-4547-82DF-9347B3EF1B1C.jpeg
    748AA2EB-0DF3-4547-82DF-9347B3EF1B1C.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom