New duckie mama

holiduck

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
Hi!

We're in rural North Florida and have been hosting a 1.5 yo duck couple for friends that are on extended vacation. After the moving stress she started laying an egg a day on 2 April, right after I had given them a nice new catsize wooden house filled with wood shavings, within the (borrowed) predation-proofed 10x10x6 chainlink enclosure with straw to lay on. It has a white tarp roof, along with extra shade for the egg box.

Once the girl went broody, she slowed and then stopped laying. They are having their first clutch here, last time I dared check they had 7 eggs. They are foraging, now he more than she. So cute, they always greet me when they see me, come closer but never enough to touch, which, considering, is fine with me. They surely have accepted my help. She is mostly now in a twilight, as she sits and sits 23 hours a day! I had concerns whether she would even go broody - she is an energetic Khaki Campbell bred to lay like crazy, and he is a beautiful, tall Cayuga. Steep learning curve! They seem to be quite happy.

Hi!

We're in rural North Florida and have been hosting a 1.5 yo duck couple for friends that are on extended vacation. After the moving stress she started laying an egg a day on 2 April, right after I had given them a nice new catsize wooden house filled with wood shavings, within the (borrowed) predation-proofed 10x10x6 chainlink enclosure with straw to lay on. It has a white tarp roof, along with extra shade for the egg box.

Once the girl went broody, she slowed and then stopped laying. They are having their first clutch here, last time I dared check they had 7 eggs. They are foraging, now he more than she. So cute, they always greet me when they see me, come closer but never enough to touch, which, considering, is fine with me. They surely have accepted my help. She is mostly now in a twilight, as she sits and sits 23 hours a day! I had concerns whether she would even go broody - she is an energetic Khaki Campbell bred to lay like crazy, and he is a beautiful, tall Cayuga. Steep learning curve! They seem to be quite happy.
Welcome. Are you keeping the babies?

Back
Top Bottom