New member, Bufflo, NY

Litefever

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2024
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and based close by Buffalo, NY, where even the chickens support the Bills.

We've kept a small flock of 4 to 6 chickens for a little over 10 years. Right now it includes a couple of copper marins, a wellsummer and two easter eggers. All sweet girls that enjoy an occasional stroke and handful of scratch. We raise them for eggs only and you've guessed it they all have names.

For housing we're using an Omlet Eglu with a 9ft by 6ft walk in run. This setup has stood up to Buffalo winters including the big snow falls with no problems at all. All the birds surviving, nothing collapsing and no varmits getting in to the coop or run. Local cats, coyotes, foxes, hawks and owls have all tried and failed. They're expensive but it's been far better than its' two predecessors. The coop is plastic, double walled and looks as new today as it did when we first got it 5 or 6 years ago.

Looking after our flock is my responsibility but I don't view it as a chore. Those girls put a smile on my face every time I see them and its a great way to relax before and after work.

I've come across BackYardChickens a number of times over the years but finally decided to signup when I found myself back here while researching Cotunix quail keeping. So here I am and looking forward to catching up on all things chicken and quail.

Back
Top Bottom