New To Brown Leghorns-Hen or Rooster?

irsmun

Chirping
Mar 23, 2022
New here to posting but been reading a long time. I've gotten so much great info from here. Thanks!

So I wanted some white eggs added to our flock and I chose a brown leghorn. Its about 6-7 weeks old but I noticed its feathers starting to darken. It had a big comb early on but that seems to be normal for both genders. Its starting to turn into a beautiful bird, but maybe too beautiful. Its looking roostery. Can the leghorn experts give me a vote and a percentage of certainty? I have a few new chicks in the brooder and if I am going to replace one, now is the time.

Attachments

• BrownLeghorn.jpg
    BrownLeghorn.jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 59
umm also i would need better photos but....dose he have a beard? it looks like he might have a beard growing in
Possibly. I would have to look. I was leaning rooster because the back feathers were developing very black with spots of red in the middle. I couldn't find any hen pictures that looked anything close to that. It also seems the tail feathers might be curving over a bit. We're still only 7 weeks but its beginning to look obvious. And with the replies, I think we can be pretty sure.

Possibly. I would have to look. I was leaning rooster because the back feathers were developing very black with spots of red in the middle. I couldn't find any hen pictures that looked anything close to that. It also seems the tail feathers might be curving over a bit. We're still only 7 weeks but its beginning to look obvious. And with the replies, I think we can be pretty sure.
i dont think leghorns are meant to have beards so....i dont know about what else he might carry in his genes (breed wise)

sadly i do think you have a rooster/cockerel, depending on where you are(rural urban city etc), what kind of neighbours you have(mean nice or ones who like roosters), and if you actually want a rooster(not every one dose),you might be able to keep him

Back
Top Bottom