Newbie...Clarkston MI can I raise chickens?

luvmy4

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Hi,

I couldn't find my city but we really want to start raising chickens. Are there any laws we need to be aware of for Clarkston MI? (Other than HOA issues?) We are on 3 acres. If the law permits us to raise chickens, does that over rule local HOA rules? (Not sure it will be a problem with HOA, waiting to hear back)

Thanks for any help.

Ren

HOA usually trumps all. You might save yourself some time and look through their codes/rules first to see if it is outlawed. If it isn't, you then try the city/county.

You need to look up your parcel # and start there. Once you have that you can check the city/county's ordinance codes to see what zone (R1, AE, etc) you are, and what is allowed there. Then you look through the city/county's ordinance codes (there's usually a search field where you can querry 'fowl, poultry, rooster, chicken, livestock' etc.) to get the exact rules of how many hens per acre, how many ft from residence, etc.

All of that is easily found via internet search, such as google.

Last edited:
Yes, HOAs can be MORE restrictive than zoning or city ordinances. Only if the city ordinance guaranteed a right to have chickens would there be a possible conflict, and then it would depend on the wording.

Yipee:lol:...it looks like I am allowed by the county....just waiting on the HOA...fingers crossed!

Look up Michigan's Right to Farm Act. I am not a lawyer but it is my understanding this law takes precedence over any local laws. As long as you keep it clean and there are no noise issues, I think you should be ok...

Unfortunately, HOA covenants/rules are not subject to the Rigt to Farm Act as they are a private contract. Hopefully your HOA is as animal frindly as mine.

Last edited:
I live in Clarkston Michigan, which I am told I am under Independence Township. The office that handles these questions stated that I must have 3 acres to have chickens, but I have heard the Michigan right to farm act trumps these ordinances. I am on 1 acre and I only wanted a few chickens for eggs and so my kids can experience this first hand. Any ideas as to how to go about this?

I live in Clarkston, but I have only on about 1 acre. No HOA in my area. I was told that technically I fall under Independence Township ordinances which state 3-acre minimum to raise chickens. However, a local Hatchery in Brighton informed me that the state Michigan Right to Farm Act should trump that and he personally has fought this and the case was thrown out and no more issues. I do not have any chickens yet, but I am looking into it still. Some other animal loving neighbors with ducks said that our other neighbors have always been good about their animals, and not to worry. I was thinking of building a coop and staring with 2 or 3 chickens. I want my kids to be able to experience this and I just love the fresh eggs.

@svjo
I live in Clarkston, but I have only on about 1 acre. No HOA in my area. I was told that technically I fall under Independence Township ordinances which state 3-acre minimum to raise chickens. However, a local Hatchery in Brighton informed me that the state Michigan Right to Farm Act should trump that and he personally has fought this and the case was thrown out and no more issues. I do not have any chickens yet, but I am looking into it still. Some other animal loving neighbors with ducks said that our other neighbors have always been good about their animals, and not to worry. I was thinking of building a coop and staring with 2 or 3 chickens. I want my kids to be able to experience this and I just love the fresh eggs.
Were you able to find an answer for this? I live on ~1acre, and can't decide of Right to Farm Act applies or not. 3 acre minimum for 1 chicken seems a bit crazy!

Back
Top Bottom