Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

• Their run is in a shaded area

Votes: 250 61.3%
  • I put a shade cloth/heat resistant tarp over their run

Votes: 125 30.6%
  • I've installed a misting system

Votes: 48 11.8%
  • I provide plenty of fresh cool water

Votes: 334 81.9%
  • They have a fan in their coop

Votes: 102 25.0%
  • I put out shallow pans with water/ice for them to stand/sit in

Votes: 131 32.1%
  • I feed them frozen fruits & veggies often

Votes: 150 36.8%
  • Their coop is well ventilated

Votes: 254 62.3%
  • I lightly wet the sand in their run

Votes: 66 16.2%
  • My chickens are heat tolerant

Votes: 85 20.8%
  • I have a roof over their run

Votes: 166 40.7%
  • I have lots of trees and bushes for them to sit under

Votes: 197 48.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 41 10.0%

• Total voters
I do electrolyte water in a small waterer, fan on timer at night while roosting and mine don't like to wade but love wet MUD so when they want I spray down dirt and they co right down. My hubby bought me a mister we just installed last week which they do really like better than soaker hose we hung on coop roof.

We made the roof of our coop with leftover heat resistant sheets of wood that have the silver lining on the side that faces down, they were extra from a roofing job, then painted it with white elastomeric roofing paint that's also heat resistant. That alone has made the coop 20° cooler during the day and aside from ventilation at the top of all 4 walls, I don't do anything else to cool it down in there, it's also directly on the dirt which stays cool since it's in the shade so that helps keep the coop cooler. I saved tupperware that lunch meat came in and freeze water in them and drop a block of ice in their water bowl every other hr or so. My youngest recently stopped eating baby food and I have a few gallon bags of frozen baby food that I started giving the chickens and they love it. In AZ we regularly have 90-100° temps and I've only seen them panting twice. After heavy rains, the ground where some feed spilled combined with chicken poop got moldy so I decided not to use water or misters as a source to cool them. Their run is half covered with plywood and the other half is shade cloth so they only get direct sunlight at sunrise and sunset. Since painting the coop roof they spend the hottest part of the day in there on the roost bars, I've gone and sat in there with them and I don't even break a sweat so it's working out better than I expected.

Summertime is a wonderful time, but with the sunshine and long days comes a potential hazard for our flocks: extreme heat. Chickens naturally wear a warm coat of feathers and can overheat easily, therefore it is essential that we provide means for them to cool down, if needed, and regulate their body temperatures.

So How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2679982

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I added horizontal nipple waterers to 2 gal. coolers,and fill them plus put a block of ice in them in the morning...and again in the afternoon if needed. I also freeze 1 and 2 liter bottles full of water...wrap them in a layer or two if newspaper, and then a paper bag and place in the run, or bury in the dust bath area, and/or place next to but outside the nest boxes on the worst of days. (FYI: I wrap/bag for 2 reasons...it absorbs the condensation AND it keeps the bottles clean (sometimes!), so they can go back into the freezer for another day.

Hanging a wet towel over the run so when the air blows it cools it down. Frozen water bottles. Shallow water for them to cool their feet. Plenty of shade. Frozen water bottler with hay on top for them to sit on. Frozen fruit water to snack on. Cook them eggs and put in the refrigerator till cold and they love that snack! 🍉🍎🥚

Hanging a wet towel over the run so when the air blows it cools it down. Frozen water bottles. Shallow water for them to cool their feet. Plenty of shade. Frozen water bottler with hay on top for them to sit on. Frozen fruit water to snack on. Cook them eggs and put in the refrigerator till cold and they love that snack! 🍉🍎🥚

My birds have plenty of shallow water, I use frozen water bottles in the shallow areas. The hardest part is picking them up at night, washing off with a waterhose, then place in a trash bag for refreezing in the deep freezer. It totally works!
I boiled eighteen eggs, peeled and refrigerated overnight. I stand with my umbrella watching them eat cold boiled eggs. *laughing*

In Southern California where we live, it has already been up to 100 and summer hasn’t begun. We have a hardware cloth covered geodesic dome as the chicken run with the coop inside. We have sand inside the dome and coop and grape vines growing over the top of the dome. When the temperatures climb, I turn on the misters to lightly moisten the sand and have a fan outside the dome blowing in. The chickens freak out when the misters are on so lately I’ve been just watering the sand with a watering can and then raking the sand into little pyramids for my girls to kick around in. I have two large sheets of white plastic cardboard as a shade awning which also works great to keep areas dry when it rains all 3 days out of the year here :)
We installed a mini A/C in the coop and run it on the super hot days especially during egg laying time so my girls aren’t over heating in the nest boxes and sometimes at night on a timer to cool off the coop. We went a little overboard on insulating the coop to keep it nice year round- I think our coop is better insulated than our house. :) We also have thermal blackout curtains to keep the heat and sun out of the coop on the east/west windows.
I use the reflective car windshield panels in strategic locations to make even more shady areas. The great thing with the dome is that I can use magnets to hold up the sun shields and thermal curtains.

I feed my girls cold watermelon in a tray that is actually a catlitter pan for older cats. It’s weighted and has a lower edge on one side so my bantams can get into the tray too. I have 5 waters all around the shady areas of the dome; 2 with plain cool water that I replace mid-day and 2 with electrolyte formula. The 5th waterer is camomile tea which is usually the first to be drank down.
On really really hot 100+ days, I bring my bantam silkies in the house and they go into a kiddie pool with sand and a playpen around it. My Roo goes into our basement set up with perches, mirrors, plush ‘girlfriends’ and food/water placed on a large dog crate tray to catch spills.
The rest of the chickens go into the coop and enjoy the A/C for a few hours just to get a reprieve from the heat, but since we don’t have much humidity here we pretty much keep everyone cool with shade, deep moist sand and a box fan. Something to keep in mind with wet sand is that you really need to scoop out the chicken poops before you moisten the sand or it’ll be like fly city. The box fan helps somewhat with keeping flies away. I use a kitty litter scoop to sift out the poo each time I go in the chicken dome. It’s a little bit of work each time, but it’s worth it cumulatively and nice to be able to walk bare foot in the dome without stepping in poo. You also get an idea of how cool your birds are when you can feel with your feet how nice the sand feels, it’s easy enough to hose off your feet afterwards.

My first year having chickens really stressed me out on how to keep them cool during our hot dry summers, but I think I’ve finally got it dialed in for most days with the deep lightly damp sand, shade (white plastic cardboard, thermal reflective cloth, car sun shields, and grape vine leaves) and a simple box fan. Hope some of these ideas help. :)

In Southern California where we live, it has already been up to 100 and summer hasn’t begun. We have a hardware cloth covered geodesic dome as the chicken run with the coop inside. We have sand inside the dome and coop and grape vines growing over the top of the dome. When the temperatures climb, I turn on the misters to lightly moisten the sand and have a fan outside the dome blowing in. The chickens freak out when the misters are on so lately I’ve been just watering the sand with a watering can and then raking the sand into little pyramids for my girls to kick around in. I have two large sheets of white plastic cardboard as a shade awning which also works great to keep areas dry when it rains all 3 days out of the year here :)
We installed a mini A/C in the coop and run it on the super hot days especially during egg laying time so my girls aren’t over heating in the nest boxes and sometimes at night on a timer to cool off the coop. We went a little overboard on insulating the coop to keep it nice year round- I think our coop is better insulated than our house. :) We also have thermal blackout curtains to keep the heat and sun out of the coop on the east/west windows.
I use the reflective car windshield panels in strategic locations to make even more shady areas. The great thing with the dome is that I can use magnets to hold up the sun shields and thermal curtains.

I feed my girls cold watermelon in a tray that is actually a catlitter pan for older cats. It’s weighted and has a lower edge on one side so my bantams can get into the tray too. I have 5 waters all around the shady areas of the dome; 2 with plain cool water that I replace mid-day and 2 with electrolyte formula. The 5th waterer is camomile tea which is usually the first to be drank down.
On really really hot 100+ days, I bring my bantam silkies in the house and they go into a kiddie pool with sand and a playpen around it. My Roo goes into our basement set up with perches, mirrors, plush ‘girlfriends’ and food/water placed on a large dog crate tray to catch spills.
The rest of the chickens go into the coop and enjoy the A/C for a few hours just to get a reprieve from the heat, but since we don’t have much humidity here we pretty much keep everyone cool with shade, deep moist sand and a box fan. Something to keep in mind with wet sand is that you really need to scoop out the chicken poops before you moisten the sand or it’ll be like fly city. The box fan helps somewhat with keeping flies away. I use a kitty litter scoop to sift out the poo each time I go in the chicken dome. It’s a little bit of work each time, but it’s worth it cumulatively and nice to be able to walk bare foot in the dome without stepping in poo. You also get an idea of how cool your birds are when you can feel with your feet how nice the sand feels, it’s easy enough to hose off your feet afterwards.

My first year having chickens really stressed me out on how to keep them cool during our hot dry summers, but I think I’ve finally got it dialed in for most days with the deep lightly damp sand, shade (white plastic cardboard, thermal reflective cloth, car sun shields, and grape vine leaves) and a simple box fan. Hope some of these ideas help. :)
L♡VED READING!

Back
Top Bottom