our chicken coop in Hawaii

Christie Rhae

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Big Island, Hawaii
Just to start off...if anyone notices that any aspect of our chicken coop looks familiar there is a simple explanation. We copied exactly! lol We printed off so many awesome ideas and tried to use as many as we could in our chicken coop design.
Our coop is 5 foot by 12 foot. The hen house is 4 by 5. We have 8 nest boxes. Right now we have 6 supposed hens, 6 weeks old. Already having doubts about some of them. We have 10 little chicks arriving in a couple weeks so soon will have a full house.

I really thought this was something we would be able to build in a weekend. Nope, we are on 3 weeks now and probably have two more weekends till everything is done.

First pic is of forming our concrete footings. We have alot of rock here so there is not much risk of animals digging under the coop. We do deal with water so my husband did not want to put wood right on the ground as it would rot quickly.
photo2.jpg

Now we are getting the basics up.
photo3.jpg

Chickens and kids love the coop so far!
photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

These little girls really like their house even if it is not done.
photo9.jpg

So excited we are getting nest boxes! There are going to be 8 of them.
photo10.jpg

View from the inside. We are big fans of doing things twice... lol. Took out the deck for the hen house and have rebuilt it a little different.
photo11.jpg

Trying to use recycled wood whenever we can.
photo12.jpg

Nice big window! This is a recycled jalousie window. We can open it from the outside to let air in or close the slats tight in a rain storm. The little chicks are already so curious looking out the window. We have primer paint up.
photo13.jpg

Over the hen house we put plywood and regular roofing but we put clear roof over the run.
photo14.jpg

I will add more pics soon!

Your right we really do not have too many. Mongoose can be a real problem but we are too high up for them (3500 foot elevation). My biggest worry is dogs. We are in the country and have had packs of dogs roving about before. My husband first put 1 inch chicken wire up but I made him take it down and put up the one inch by one inch hardware wire. I think it was called "rabbit wire" at the hardware store. It is serious stuff and I cannot imagine a dog chewing through it. We decided our weekest link was the door so we put a sturdy slide lock at the bottom as well as a latch in the middle. I read about people letting their chickens rove about the yard during the day but I am scared to death a dog will sneak up and get one!

Last edited:
Great coop photos! It's coming along really well. I think it was smart to use the smaller, stronger wire, too.

Hey, if you don't mind and have the time...post some pics of your yard or the landscape, too! I love seeing pictures of places that are very different from where I live.
smile.png

ugh...painting is such a pain. Would have been smarter to paint before we put wire up. Oh well, first timers. lol
Inside the hen house and nest boxes I painted everything white.

photo15.jpg

Back
Top Bottom