Pics

igorsMistress

Labels create division.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
We have a Rhode Island Red, Ruby, that is broody. I've tried everything :barnie Ice packs, separate cage, boot her out all the time. She won't take no for an answer.:he So tomorrow I pick up some fertile eggs to let her hatch :lol:Naked Neck X Bresse parents, have bow ties. We recently lost two very fluffy Australorps to the heat. The 2 NN's we have are doing quite well :)so we're slowly making a change to these exclusively. I love the way they look!

Ruby is nesting in a box about 15 inches above the dirt floor so I'm going to move her. I have a wire crate to put her in, on the floor, but I'm debating about a towel or something to cover the sides and top. It's pretty hot here right now. Will work on that in the morning. I'm leaving her in with the flock as she's #2 in the pecking order for good reason. Her sister the pigeon slayer is first :gig

I've never done this before. I've had tons of baby pigeons, kittens, puppies, humans. Well ok only a couple of humans. Never a broody chicken though. This will be a first for all of us. Oldest GS is super excited :celebrate

I have an incubator on standby but I think one of the NN'S may be going broody again too so it might not be necessary :idunnoWill see where she is tomorrow morning and how serious she is.

Last edited:
F9749380-4E11-45B7-87D7-DF7BE31B07CF.jpeg
We have a Rhode Island Red, Ruby, that is broody. I've tried everything :barnie Ice packs, separate cage, boot her out all the time. She won't take no for an answer.:he So tomorrow I pick up some fertile eggs to let her hatch :lol:Naked Neck X Breese parents, both have bow ties. We recently lost two very fluffy Australorps to the heat. The 2 NN's we have are doing quite well :)so we're slowly making a change to these exclusively. I love the way they look!

Ruby is nesting in a box about 15 inches above the dirt floor so I'm going to move her. I have a wire crate to put her in, on the floor, but I'm debating about a towel or something to cover the sides and top. It's pretty hot here right now. Will work on that in the morning. I'm leaving her in with the flock as she's #2 in the pecking order for good reason. Her sister the pigeon slayer is first :gig

I've never done this before. I've had tons of baby pigeons, kittens, puppies, humans. Well ok only a couple of humans. Never a broody chicken though. This will be a first for all of us. Oldest GS is super excited :celebrate

I have an incubator on standby but I think one of the NN'S may be going broody again too so it might not be necessary :idunnoWill see where she is tomorrow morning and how serious she is.
My Ruby and I sending best of luck on your hatch.

I moved Ruby and the 2 eggs she had to the wire crate. She was surprisingly docile during the move. No go, she left them for eggs in a nest box. :rolleyes:

New plan: add the third nest box back to the coop, put litter on the floor and prep a nest area under her box for after hatch. I can raise the floor significantly with litter so littles should be ok to get out of the box without injury.

There's food and water, she's in the corner box so no one will bother her there.

The NN isn't broody, I'm good with it :)

Back
Top Bottom