Pasteurized Farm Fresh Eggs?

BigMike0601

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Hope this is the right area to post...I'm new to the whole chicken thing. Just ordered plans to build a coop and still learning alot. Question: A local farmer has farm fresh eggs that are pasteurized. Is it normal for 'farm fresh' eggs to be pasteurized? How are fresh eggs normally eaten? I was under the impression I could just grab an egg from the nest and eat it, is this wrong?

Yes you can grab an egg from the nest and eat it.

I'm surprised that a farmer is pasteurizing eggs. Is it a big operation?

Imp

Bigger operation than the demand I suppose. I didn't think that big, 50 hens or so...

Hmmm, I was thinking thousands and thousands.

I was under the impression that pasteurizing fresh shell eggs was a difficult task. Not really one for at home. Things change or maybe they are playing a little loose with the definition. If you get a chance ask how they are doing it.

Have fun getting chickens,
Imp

Yeah, it's probably supposed to say "pastured". That just means the hens were raised on pasture, not in a building or backyard. I sell pastured eggs, and people who are unfamiliar with it often call them pasteurized. Those are two completely different things.

Pasteurized eggs are available commercially. They are used for things like mayonnaise and eggnog that are made with raw eggs.

I've seen them for sale in the local health foods store in smaller packages and in "milk" cartons.

Where I work uses pasteurized eggs. I find them to have weak shells and some have "spots" on them that look like grease spots.Weird....each egg has a stamped P on the top....really weird.
The dietician said they have to buy pasteurized so they can "pool" eggs for cooking.Something to do with the law.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom