gtoliver

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
Hi, so I know this is a website about/for chickens, but I thought that similar principles applied to chicks apply when it comes to physical defects in keets.
Just got 10 Pearl Guinea keets today and noticed that one of them has a messed up leg, which juts out sideways as opposed to straight up and down. This causes it to be unable to move well; it kind of just hobbles around. I have seperated it and given it water, food and warmth. Is there anything I can do to fix something like this? Although I would highly prefer to not put it down, I am capable of doing so if there is no alternative. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I've already had pretty bad luck with guineas this year, so I'd really like to fix this if possible.

Sorry I couldn't get a very good picture. You can kind of see its right foot sticking out to the right.

View attachment 2268950

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hi, so I know this is a website about/for chickens, but I thought that similar principles applied to chicks apply when it comes to physical defects in keets.
Just got 10 Pearl Guinea keets today and noticed that one of them has a messed up leg, which juts out sideways as opposed to straight up and down. This causes it to be unable to move well; it kind of just hobbles around. I have seperated it and given it water, food and warmth. Is there anything I can do to fix something like this? Although I would highly prefer to not put it down, I am capable of doing so if there is no alternative. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I've already had pretty bad luck with guineas this year, so I'd really like to fix this if possible.

Sorry I couldn't get a very good picture. You can kind of see its right foot sticking out to the right.

View attachment 2268950
Your photo is not showing at this time. From your description, I am guessing that it is a slipped tendon. You have to fully extend the leg in order to be able to manipulate the tendon back in place. Once you get it in place, you have to devise some way of securing it in place. If you are successful in doing this, it may heal.

Your photo is not showing at this time. From your description, I am guessing that it is a slipped tendon. You have to fully extend the leg in order to be able to manipulate the tendon back in place. Once you get it in place, you have to devise some way of securing it in place. If you are successful in doing this, it may heal.

I re-uploaded the picture, hopefully you can see it now. Although, it still isn't a very goop photo.

Alright, I did some more research, and ended up binding the legs together with some medical tape. The guinea is still drinking water and eating food so far. Hopefully this will work.

Back
Top Bottom