Please Help - Found Chicken Lying on its Side, Will not/Cannot Walk

Mischievous chicken

Sorry it has been a while since i have been on here. I am going to school part time, work part time, and full time wife, mother and chicken mommy. Anyways i hope your chicken is hangin in there. Of course, I took him to the vet as soon as she was opened on Monday (because i found him on Saturday) She took x-rays and ruled out that he hadn't broken anything, thank goodness, but she said his bones looked thin, and she said it could have been the angle of the x-ray. she wormed him and said he was underweight, and gave him an injection of calcium to give him a boost. so i had a base of what it possibly be, but still wasn't sure and she wasn't sure, the rest I did on my own, I totally did alot of reading on my rooster when he just couldn't walk or stand, I researched on so many different sites and he never seem paralyzed. He could move his legs, he just didn't have any control over them. He could not stand or walk. I put him in my garage inside of a big dog crate. I didn't put shavings in there, I put towels to make it soft because I didn't want him to be getting sores. I read about Ricketts and this sounded like it was possible that this is what Jack had (I prayed that this was it and not something worse). anyways, I mixed him egg, honey, oatmeal, calcium powder, and yogurt. I also gave him water with vitamins and electrolytes mixed in it. At first I gave him raw egg, because I didn't know if it should be cooked, but he still ate it, after 2 weeks, I noticied he was getting stronger but not much, I almost gave up and not sure of how I would have handled having to cull my baby boy that I adored. Luckily the urge left overnight, thankfully, i didn't give up.

this was during the summer so I wasn't in school and only worked Tuesday and Thursdays. so each morning I would make him his meal and would go in the garage and hold him and work his legs, I would massage, push and pull (not hard, just enough to feel that he was resisting, which was good. I fed him his egg, honey, etc. 3 times a day. I also gave him the chick starter food which has more vitamins and protein in it. (and by now I am hard boiling the egg, (the vet said it was nothing wrong with the raw egg, but didn't want him to eat the eggs when he went back outside.) (i never gave up hope after that one moment of lapse in nerves). I just kept working with him. I also went to the pet store and purchased Crickets for him to help with extra protein. I useally gave him 10 to 12 dozen a week, sometimes more.... When crickets were abundant in the wild I would also give tons of them to him. I was worried to give him the wild ones but if he is free ranging then he is eating the wild bugs, so that just made him stronger.

I just kept reading and finding things that had extra calcium and protein. I added calcuim to everything i gave him. I started giving him scramble eggs also. I actually still do for all of my chickens.

I make my own calcuim. I use all of my eggshells from the eggs my babies lay. I clean them and bake them for 15 minutes and then put them into the food processor and grind them up to fine particles. I mix the homemade calcium with their scrambled eggs, cheese, and yogurt eggs each week. I have 40 chickens of different breeds and I usually cook about 6 to 8 dozen of eggs. they love them and when it is cold outside they gooble them up and this gives them extra protein and it is all organic and I know what goes in is the best I can provide them.

I hope this has helped you at least a little. If you have any more questions or if something is unclear just let me know. I will try to get on often as I can.

Oh and I also started raising mealworms last summer. I have let my colony go through a whole cycle and now am able to give these tasty treats to my babies. Now I believe that what you put into these worms is what your chickens eat also, so I start out with some chickens food (i use the grower/finisher, because I don't need to force them to lay eggs), i add powdered milk, oatmeal, calcuim (from my eggs), grits. I vary and just use whatever is the healthiest for my girls and couple boys. Oh how they love these treats, they would eat the whole tub full if I let them. but that is more protein for them as well.
Hope your chicken is hanging in there.

xoxoxoxo

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your input, chickenlady.

It's been two weeks now and I have been giving her a similar mixture of foods as you did with your little roo. I think she is getting better but still not walking or sitting on top of her legs yet. She still has her legs spread out as she lays on one side - and only one side. If I try to "flip" her over, she will immediately just flip back. I guess it must be a more comfortable/tolerable position.

One bit of good news is that she is now drinking. I put a little dish of her regular feed into a shallow dish and then place some water on one side of the dish (but don't mix to create a mash). She seems to really enjoy eating on one side and then drinking on the other side - like a small TV dinner!

She is also kicking much stronger than even just a week ago. Both legs show strength, whereas before, she could barely move both. I am really hoping that she has a vitamin/mineral deficiency over anything else. (I know, what a strange thing to hope for.)

Finally, has anyone ever given their chickies crushed human daily multivitamins (from Costco, for example)? I am guessing that many of you would advise against this but just curious why and what others think? Looking at the label, it's got Vitamins A, D, Riboflavin and very little calcium (she's not laying yet). Of course, it has a *whole bunch* of other things that may not be desirable such as 100% iron (daily for humans). What does everyone think? Yea or nay?

Mischevious chicken

It sounds promising that your girl is moving legs. That sounds like my Jack. I almost gave up on him. I cried to my husband and told him one night that I didn't think he was getting any better, but by the morning that feeling past. I am so glad that I didn't give up on him. Now remember it took him around 2 months or so before he started walking. After awhile i was able to put him up on his legs and he could hold his balance like he was squatting but couldn't stand. It got frustrating but I kept working with him and little by little he got better and better. He is now a good weight and definitley a lover not a fighter. He is very good with my girls, he is not rough or aggressive. Jack also preferred one side to the other. He would automatically flip back to the side, he even got so he scooted himself around to the point that he made his nails bleed. when he started moving around I took him out of the kennel and let him have full range of the garage. I even moved my car out so he could have lots of room to get around. He scooted around and then one day he just stood up and started walking. I recorded him on my cell phone and still have it saved.

But don't give up, it sounds like your girl is making a slow recovery like my Jack did, it is so worth the hard work and devotion. She will be your best hen, she will adore you.

Another thing I did was bring a another chicken his age in the garage with him, that way he wouldn't be lonely, that way they will bond with them and not be so attached to us and not want to move back out to the coop with his chick friends. Just a thought.

I never gave that type of vitamins to Jack. I instead got the vitamins from the feed store and gave him a couple squirts down his throat each day, it was a pain to try to mix it with his water, or his food. I wanted to make sure he got what he needed.

Are you giving the egg yoke, honey, oatmeal, etc. mixture? I really felt that it helped and he loved it. I also got him crickets from the pet store for extra protein. Calcium powder mixed with the egg mixture.

I would be afraid to give those vitamins, if you can't find the vitamins at your feed store then get the childrens liquid ones, and just give her a couple of squirts directly in her mouth. Vitamins mixed in her water and her food. I used the chick starter for him also.

Hope your girl is getting stronger! Please keep me updated on her.

Lisa

Quote:
you can get poultry vitamins in a packet from GQF Mfg. Co in savannah,ga. that you mix with water. ph #912-236-0651 or e-mail: [email protected]...they are only about 3-4 dollars a pkt and will make alot or a really good source for vitamins, meds,wormers probiotics and many other things that have doseages for poultry is First State Vet supply(look this up on internet as i don't have number handy...i made a chicken of mine who could not stand a sling so that legs would be under him and he could he sit or stand with this type of support and not roll over. took a square of cloth and cut two hole for the legs.

Quote:
Hi Chickbird,

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will look into the vendors that you mentioned. I am *very* interested in hearing more about the sling you made. In the past, I have made booties for my day old chicks as well as the "band-aid ankle braces" to help chicks with curled toes and splayed feet respectively. I have not heard of a sling for an adult-sized bird. Could you please provide more details about this device? Do you by any chance have pictures of it while your roo was using it?

I understand how a square cloth with two holes cut out might work but am not sure how it would stay in place, etc.

Thank you!

Hi All,

Today I found one of my chickens (13 weeks old) lying on the ground and not able to get up. She was awake but as the other chickens walked on top of her legs, she couldn't move her legs to get them off or even complain as they "trampled" on her. I picked her up and gave her a warm bath and visually inspected her but found no signs of trauma. She definitely favors her left side/leg because when I put her down on her left side to try to wash her right side, she immediately flipped over and flapped her wings in protest.

She is eating but not really drinking. I made a mash so that she could get some fluids. She hasn't pooped since she has been quarantined so I haven't seen her poop to inspect for worms of if her poop is abnormal. As I was rinsing her off, I thought I noticed a very runny poop but wasn't sure if it was just the "wash off" (she was literally lying down in some poop when I found her).

Here is a video of her in her quarantine space:

Her "hurt leg" twitches sometimes as she tries to move it. However, generally speaking, she doesn't move it. Also, her toes are curled on that leg (similar to chicks that take too long to hatch and need booties). However, she has always walked around without any problems and developed normally.

I also inspected the coop and couldn't find any evidence of predators getting in.

Any ideas? Worms? Lice? Mites? Is that the standard check first? I just wasn't sure if they would cause her not to be able to walk. Something else? A disease? I have no idea. I have to do more research. Thank you everyone.
I have a leghorn chicken who's doing the same thing but I'm not sure it's the same source from your chicken or same problem
but she was attacked by a dog before you might want to check if you're chicken was attacked but anything cuz It might be the source from that too

What ever happened with this chick? I have one in the same condition now...
Hi there! I have a chicken in the same condition as the original author too. What happened with your chicken? I am still working through various treatments and possible solutions. Some appear to be helping a little - very little - but she's not deteriorating. I haven't found anything that has really made a significant difference though. How about you?

Mischevious chicken

It sounds promising that your girl is moving legs. That sounds like my Jack. I almost gave up on him. I cried to my husband and told him one night that I didn't think he was getting any better, but by the morning that feeling past. I am so glad that I didn't give up on him. Now remember it took him around 2 months or so before he started walking. After awhile i was able to put him up on his legs and he could hold his balance like he was squatting but couldn't stand. It got frustrating but I kept working with him and little by little he got better and better. He is now a good weight and definitley a lover not a fighter. He is very good with my girls, he is not rough or aggressive. Jack also preferred one side to the other. He would automatically flip back to the side, he even got so he scooted himself around to the point that he made his nails bleed. when he started moving around I took him out of the kennel and let him have full range of the garage. I even moved my car out so he could have lots of room to get around. He scooted around and then one day he just stood up and started walking. I recorded him on my cell phone and still have it saved.

But don't give up, it sounds like your girl is making a slow recovery like my Jack did, it is so worth the hard work and devotion. She will be your best hen, she will adore you.

Another thing I did was bring a another chicken his age in the garage with him, that way he wouldn't be lonely, that way they will bond with them and not be so attached to us and not want to move back out to the coop with his chick friends. Just a thought.

I never gave that type of vitamins to Jack. I instead got the vitamins from the feed store and gave him a couple squirts down his throat each day, it was a pain to try to mix it with his water, or his food. I wanted to make sure he got what he needed.

Are you giving the egg yoke, honey, oatmeal, etc. mixture? I really felt that it helped and he loved it. I also got him crickets from the pet store for extra protein. Calcium powder mixed with the egg mixture.

I would be afraid to give those vitamins, if you can't find the vitamins at your feed store then get the childrens liquid ones, and just give her a couple of squirts directly in her mouth. Vitamins mixed in her water and her food. I used the chick starter for him also.

Hope your girl is getting stronger! Please keep me updated on her.

Lisa
Great posts! I have an ill young roo. I am ispired to refine his care by your choices of foods etc. Although I will caution all to read labels on any vitamins, liquid or otherwise. Many childrens vitamins & supplements have flavorings, artificial sweeteners- including xylitol- & colorings which could cause adverse reactions including death. Someone on another thread suggested dried or freeze dried beef liver powder mixed with yogurt or buttermilk. I took that good advice. My ill or stressed chickens & chicks have done wonderfully with that sage advice for a nutrient boost!

Back
Top Bottom