Poisonous millipedes?

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
We have a ton of these yellow spotted millipedes in our yard. I think I’ve seen one gutted by one of our pullets but I decided to google because the coloration generally screams toxic in the insect world. Seems like they secrete cyanide and 18x more potent than the amount needed to kill a bird! Will the chickens avoid them generally? We have 8 week old bantams so they’re bitty. Anything we can do?

Attachments

• 0073F733-6E7F-4DA0-B79C-33B0E02280C7.png
    0073F733-6E7F-4DA0-B79C-33B0E02280C7.png
    524.4 KB · Views: 43
I hope your pullet didn't eat it! Generally chickens have an instinct about what not to eat. If one did take a test, usually toxic bugs and plants taste awful, so after one taste they should leave it alone. I'd try to kill the millipedes if possible, but wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Hope this helps!

I hope your pullet didn't eat it! Generally chickens have an instinct about what not to eat. If one did take a test, usually toxic bugs and plants taste awful, so after one taste they should leave it alone. I'd try to kill the millipedes if possible, but wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Hope this helps!

Thank you! This helps. I figure they do have good instincts, but what I've read about them is pretty scary. I did kill one I saw today but have just relocated others in the past. Will probably be more diligent about squashing.

@charlotte-and-the-bees
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1595028740193.png

Back
Top Bottom